Some Good Marines

Chapter 22

POV Nami at Cocoyashi Village

Me: WAS THIS ARLONG'S IDEA?!!

No...no! Everything I've worked for so long... the Marines were going to take it away from me. Why weren't they protecting us? Was it not the duty of the Marines to protect us from the Pirates?

Nezumi: Get rid of them. They're hindering the search

As the Marines raised their guns and pointed them at us, I lost hope. No more... no more nothing... I guess this is how it ends. Sorry Noji, sorry Gen. Because of me... it seems I brought more tragedy to this village.

I closed my eyes, resigning myself to fate.

*bang* *bang*

Hmm? Why am I not dead? I'm sure I heard the bullets. While still shaking in fear and rage, I squinted my open to see... two short girls in shorts.

Did they just save us? Why/

Short Girl: Stop

Nezumi: Who are you? Who do you think I am?! I am Marine Captain Nezumi! I represent the World Government!

Taller Girl: We know

Despite facing a Marine officer, they had an aura of confidence around them. Who were they? Why would they risk themselves like this for us? I still felt as if it was hopeless but my heart desperately latched itself to the small amount of hope I had left.

Nezumi: You are under arrest for disturbing the search of a criminal! Don't try and resist little girl!

As expected... was it too much? All they did was buy us a little bit of time in the end. After all, in this part of the World, nobody could defy the authority of a Marine Captain.

Short Girl: I disagree

Is she planning to fight? Is she a Pirate? That would explain things. In a life already being chased and hunted by the Marines, such an action would be trivial. But why do this for us? Did they hear about the money we had?

Instinctively, I felt a great hate for the two sisters. That must be why they came a saved us... to take the money I gathered to free the village. In the end... this is what Pirates are like.

That was when another girl arrived, much taller than the two that were already here. She was wearing a symbol I despised, the Marines. But instead of joining Nezumi, she came and stood behind the girls and put on the Justice Coats on their backs.

Tall Girl: By the authority of Rear Admiral Diana and Kara Fujitora, Marine Captain Nezumi of the 16th branch is charged for corruption, collaborating with a wanted Pirate to scheme against innocent civilians, abuse of power, and ordering your unit to harm villagers. You are hereby stripped of your rank and power.

Shock took me as I processed her words.

They were Rear Admirals? What is a high ranking Marine doing here in East Blue, in this run down small village of Cocoyashi?

Then, the shorter girl who turned out to be a Rear Admiral called Kara spoke to Nezumi, who was now a stuttering mess.

Kara: You are under arrest. Marines! Arrest him!

Nezumi: bu...but...

Kara: ARREST HIM!

As she said those words, I felt my blood chill and muscles clench. I sucked in a deep breath but I found myself unable to move. I sighed in relief that the aura she emitted but not aimed at us, but rather the Marines.

The Marines who were with Nezumi were now on their knees and starting to suffocate from just her aura alone. So this is the power of a Rear Admiral, a high ranking officer of the Strongest Organization in the World. Truly a fearsome person, how can such power be inside a little girl?

She then turned around to face us with a smile. While I felt relieved as I understood the general situation, I could still not get over the fear of her pure power. Completely drowning any thought for arguing, let alone resisting, from both the Marines and us.

Kara: Hello villagers of Cocoyashi. First, we would like to apologize for your suffering and loss. We would like to have a proper excuse, but the only one we have is this sorry excuse of a Captain.

She then pointed at the vomiting mess who was the Marine Captain Nezumi. As I saw him be degraded and arrested in front of everyone... I felt a sense of relief.

Maybe... maybe the World Government did come to help us all.

Kara: He was the one in charge of this area, and the reports he sent to the headquarters stated that there were no problems at all. After a while, we got suspicious since even in the Blues, there are some occasional Pirate raids or some problems.

That would explain a lot about what happened. If this area really was under a corrupt officer like him, then others of the same rank or lower would not have the authority to check him. There aren't many officers above Captain in East Blue to begin with. Now...maybe if they fight Arlong we might be living in freedom after all.

Maybe then I would be able to explore the world in peace knowing that my family, not by blood but love, is safe. Could I really complete my map of the World?

Kara: We unfortunately give back the lost lives and time you have spent under that tyrant; however you can be rest assured that the damage you have suffered will be paid in full by the World Government.

You can expect this sorry ass piece of shit to be imprisoned for a very long time and never be allowed to join the Marines again.

With that final confirmation, the villagers cheered. I did too, it felt like years of burden was finally released from my shoulders... but it was as the girl said. The lost lives could not be brought back.

But... the fear was not over yet. There was still the source of all the pain and suffering still here in the village.

Me: What about Arlong?

I half expected to hear an excuse of why the Marines would not interfere with Arlong as it was not their business, or something about risking their lives when it could be done peacefully. Truly, my image of the Marines have degraded over the many years.

Diana: Either we will take care of him, or bounty hunters will. You can expect to be freed soon. But didn't you say you were an officer of the Arlong pirates?

My heart stopped a beat as I realized they heard me talk to the Marine Captain. Of course they would, they were monsters from the Marines, the top dogs. My mind went blank as to how I could explain the situation...if they were really here to eliminate the pirates, then I was sure I would be no exception.

Nojiko: No! No! She was taken by force! She was there to free us. Please...don't take her.

No! no... Noji please stay silent... what if they take you as well? This is purely my fault. I opened my mouth to beg for forgiveness when Rear Admiral Diana spoke again.

Diana: hmm... well, this is technically our fault as well. We will choose the trust you.

With that, they just picked up, no... dragged Nezumi and brought the remaining Marines back to their ship. While all of that happened, my mind went blank from processing what they said.

Really? They'll just release me based on what they think might've happened? Just because they felt guilty of what had happened here, even if it was not directly their (the rear admirals) fault? As I was starting to get a headache from all the unanswered questions, I felt relief.

A tear slid down my face as I realized our new bright reality.

Me: It's finally over Noji... we're free

Noji just came over and hugged me. For that moment, I just let myself be hugged. Maybe the World Government isn't so bad after all if there are people like that.