A Moment to Relax

Chapter 34

It was so comfortable here. I can't remember anything I was doing but... whatever I'm laying on is officially the best bed.

*pet* *pet*

?? whoever was petting me, it felt so comfortable... ahhh

I squirmed a bit in delight, then the petting intensified. Huh? Was there more than one person?

*PET* *PET*

Diana: Wake up Kara, I can tell you're awake.

Don't want to... *squirm* *squirm*

Then I was suddenly pulled up into a hug... by my sister I would guess.

Me: Hmm?

Yup, it was my sister all right. But where am I?

I looked around a bit more to find that I wasn't on the Requiem, but rather somewhere much larger.

Me: Where am I?

Diana: You're at MarineFord. Doc told me you were pretty close to dying you know?

I continued to look around the room to find...Dad?

Me: DAD?

Issho: Kara... you don't know how worried I was when I received a call saying that you were seriously injured and missing an arm.

I looked at my arms... they were both there. The first thing I did with my regrown arms was to jump at dad and hug him... being the huge man that he is, which easily surpasses 3 meters, I couldn't even get my arms fully around even his front or reach chest (like less than half his height), but dad just smiled and pet my head.

Issho: Don't ask me about medical stuff. I don't know why or how your arm grew back but it's a blessing for sure. But more importantly, how are you feeling right now, does it hurt anywhere?

Me: No... but I feel a bit hungry. How long has it been?

Diana: A little less than a week, a few things changed now. It's been made official that Ace, the second division commander of the Whitebeard Pirates, was caught by a new Warlord of the Sea and he will be executed in two week's time, right here in MarnieFord.

Me: Ok, but what about the floating islands? Of all the people there? I felt so many lifeforms on there...

Diana: The islands were falling very slowly so we had enough to time evacuate everyone in time... but the island themselves were taken by the sea. They should be at the bottom of the ocean by now.

Me: That's nice...so what did Doc say?

Doc Brown just entered the room at that exact moment with Sengoku, probably heard that I was awake and came to check on me.

Me: Ok, I understand why Doc's here. Probably assigned to check on me and everything but why is Fleet Admiral here? Don't you have some important stuff to do? Like preparing for the war?

Sengoku: You girls never even allow me to rest for a moment do you? Issho, how did you even raise these twins? They've just been bugging me ever since they've joined the Marines.

Dad just chuckled at Sengoku's words. From their interactions, it looks as if they're already on good terms. It makes sense after all, both of them would agree on our term of Ethical Justice, and not Sakazuki's Absolute Justice.

Me: So Doc, what do I do now? Can I leave or do I have to stay here a bit longer.

Brown: You look fine to me and on paper. The only reason you woke up today and not earlier was just because your body was just tired. Your injuries healed extraordinarily quick, we had to continuously inject medicine because your body burned them off in no time. Also, I don't know how your arm regrew; it's something that's not medically possible without the help of a Devil Fruit. So maybe it's something that's unique to you?

Me: Maybe, but I'm not one to be not thankful for it. I'd rather keep my arm.

I smiled as I looked up at dad who I was still hugging.

Me: Cause I can hug dad and sis with them.

Diana: Dad, hand Kara over please. I wasn't able to hug Kara for a week and I think I'm going crazy.

Dad complied and lifted me up before passing me to sis, who sat down before putting me on her lap and hugging me from behind. Back to the same comfortable position...

Me: I think... that was the closest I've ever been to death... I... don't think I've ever realized what it means to fight with my life on the line. I always thought I was strong enough to never endanger my life...I was always confident that I wouldn't lose a fight.

I started to tear up as I realized what that could have meant. Maybe not losing my sister permanently since God promised... but I've grown to love Dad, as well as made some precious friends. I started to tear up as I realized how close to losing them I was.

I thought sis and I asked for some ridiculously powerful powers, so things like this wouldn't happen,. yet in line enough so we wouldn't be targeted. Still, this was too close.

Sis just hugged me from behind as started sobbing. Dad came over and pet me on my head again softly while Sengoku and Doc quietly gave us our moment.

It took a while but I recovered enough to sit back on the hospital bed on my own as I looked up, red eyed, at Sengoku.

Me: So what now? What's next? Your emergency mission almost killed us. Please don't send us to the Emperor's Next.

Issho: If you send my daughters on a mission they don't return from... I'm joining Kaido and returning to Wano. Let be threat be well understood Sengoku.

Man, this was a part of dad that we didn't see often. The 'pissed off' dad.

Sengoku: I don't know how you trained your daughters but if you were the one to have taught them their swordsmanship and Devil Fruit Powers, then I would hate to have you as an enemy.

Sengoku shuddered before turning back to me.

Sengoku: All that aside, you're still young. How young again? 12?

Me: 14. We're twins, you know sis is 14

*pout*

Sengoku: Yeah, 14. Not even a legal adult...*hah* What are the Marines doing sending girls like you to war?

Diana: You're the Fleet Admiral

Sengoku: Would you leave me alone for ONE Fuc—

I don't know what my dad looked like but it made Sengoku shut up immediately

Sengoku: *hmm* anyway, you girls are already powerful enough to face off against the strongest individuals in the world. Taking down Shiki the Golden Lion?! Accomplishing that feat alone pretty much guarantees you two's spot as the Next Admirals.

Me: I don't want to be an Admiral if sis and dad's not with me. *pout* Besides, it would mean more paperwork as well.

Sengoku: How... you know what? Let's leave the future issues for the future. Well then Issho, did you make up your decision? Would you join the Marines? We are in desperate need of people with power like you.

Issho: Yes, I decided not to join... for now. Perhaps after the war when the World is at peace once again.

Sengoku just nodded, not pushing the decision.

Sengoku: Well then, I think you and your crew earned yourselves a week and a half's vacation. You are the return to MarineFord 3 days prior to the execution.

Sis and I just nodded.

Me: I want to go home...

Issho: I know... daddy's here to take you home.

Before the world becomes crazy again; before we fight against Whitebeard, the strongest man in the World, I just wanted a moment of peace. Looks like a few months of fighting and sailing was too much for a 14 year old after all, no matter how strong.