Chapter 15

His stained cheeks

***

I have not seen nor heard of Nolan after what happened at lunch. The day went by like any normal day that took place before meeting Nolan and his friends. The only difference was that back then I didn't need to think of any people other than my friends and family, but now they joined my 'many things to think of' party. As if school wasn't enough.

I suddenly felt a weird feeling erupt in my stomach and make its move up to my throat. Maybe it was the food I ate last night. I have to admit, it tasted quite funny for a simple burger. This is why I do not eat junk food that often. If it wasn't a messed up stomach, it was food poisoning.

"Iris." My name got called out during class by a female voice. It was Mrs. Lee. She was a teacher here in her late 40s. She wore round glasses that suit her big green eyes that perfectly matched her long ash blonde hair that fell to her lower back. She always wore stylish and cute dresses along with a different hairstyle every day. She was quite stunning and still looked like she was in her mid 20's.

"Are you okay? You seem pale." She lifted a brow as she eyes me with worried eyes.

"Of course Mrs. Lee." I replied sweetly, a little nervous as I could feel everyone's attention printed onto me.

"Go freshen up. You don't look too good." She nodded her head to the door and I nodded nervously before walking out and away from all the annoying attention I seemed to be getting in class.

I was basically invisible if it wasn't for teachers. I was a quiet girl who didn't do much to get known by anyone in school. I only did netball but not even that seemed to get others' attention and I was thankful for that. But it was quite annoying that the only time people did actually notice me was when me and my friends were having fun and accidentally yell out loud or when moments like now happened in class.

I hated the attention. The stares I always got were never friendly. I was used to it, but it wouldn't keep the anxiety from rushing through my blood and tricking my mind to overthink.

I arrived at the bathroom and walked in, rinsing my face quickly before looking at my reflection which revealed a pale-looking figure. Mrs. Lee always knew when there was something wrong with a student. She was the teacher from the cooking class which I was attending just now. Whenever a student zoned out or something, she would send them to the bathroom to freshen up (rinse their face) and come back to class.

I walked back out after taking a deep breath and headed straight to class. I heard faint yelling getting slightly louder as I neared the class that was just down the hall. I made the corner and peeked from behind it to see Nolan quietly getting scolded by Mrs. Madi in front of the men's bathroom. Nolan was looking at the wall behind Mrs. Madi while she keeps scolding him.

After a few seconds, she calmed down, taking a deep breath before looking at him with soft eyes that showed just how much she cared for him.

"Please, Nolan. Don't do that again." She said in a begging tone. It was the only words I seemed to have heard this whole time. I didn't even overhear the argument.

"You know I can't help it." He replied harshly yet carefully through gritted teeth, still not daring to look at her.

"Well then try." She snapped, annoyed with the boy in front of her. She walked down the hall, in opposite direction from me.

Nolan rolled his fists into balls and punched the wall, faint splatters of blood painted the wall and some trickles down his knuckles and onto the floor. He stares at his fists, closing his eyes and throwing his head back as a frown forms onto his face. I could have sworn a lonely tear rolled down his cheek.

He turned into my direction and started walking furiously. I looked for a place to hide, facing around the other way to see if there was a place.

"Iris?" I heard my name flow out of a familiar person's mouth.

I snapped my head back around, but the quick movement made me lightheaded. I tried to lean against the wall with my left hand as my right hand held my head while I closed my eyes to try to get rid of the unsettling feeling, but I missed the wall tragically and fell forward.

I felt no impact to the floor, but I did feel warm electricity spark through my body as I crashed into something rock hard. There was a toned and muscular arm wrapped around my waist, all the way to my back. Another held my arm gently to hold me up and stop me from falling.

I locked eyes with the familiar person. His hazel green eyes, some days greenish-blue and others hazel, didn't leave mine for even a second. But his eyes did not distract me from the tear stain that was left on his cheek. He noticed and quickly wiped away all evidence, letting me go and allowing me to catch my breath again.

"Um, are you okay?" He questioned softly as he took a glimpse of me before looking away.

"I'm okay... what about you?" I asked back. He nodded with a faint smile but I knew he was lying.

"Don't lie. I saw Mrs. Madi arguing with you and the tear stain on your cheek." I said in a monotone voice as I scanned his facial features that turned from a faint smile to a slightly shocked one.

"Oh that... Just ignore that. It's nothing. Anyhow. I have to go. Ciao-" He tried to brush it off and walk away but I stopped him by grabbing his wrist.

"Do you really think I'm that dumb? Judging by how much Mrs. Madi seems to care about you and suddenly scolding you and asking you to try... whatever it was, makes me think it is more than just 'nothing'." I stated in a slightly raised voice.

He scoffed and looked to his right before looking at the floor and back to me with a serious expression.

"Do me a favor... and stay out of my business. I don't need someone like you sniffing around in my personal life." He ordered strictly in a monotone voice that made me shiver in fear. He ripped his hand back and stormed off, leaving me speechless.