Chapter 29

Storytime pt2

***

It felt like hours of darkness before I woke up to the familiar environment again. I felt something beside me and saw Nolan sleeping with a frown. He had red rims around his eyes, almost like he was crying. I let my fingers run through his soft dark hair.

His eyes fluttered open and I froze in place. His dry lips parted and he smiled at me. He sure did cry. I could see it.

"You're awake." He tiredly said, closing his eyes and placing his one hand on mine that was still on his head. sparks of electricity ran through me and a wave of heat hit my cheeks. The heart monitor started going crazy, my heart rate going up and down between 130 and 138 beats per minute.

He chuckled in a deep and raspy voice, clearly noticing the effect he had on me.

"The doctors said you will be good to go by tomorrow. I let your parents know and said I would take care of you till you can go home." He softly breathed out.

I started running my fingers through his hair again and I could feel him relax more.

"I want to hear what happened." I finally spoke.

"About what?" He softly asked.

"At school."

His eyes shot open and he looked at me, sitting straight before letting out a sigh and nodding.

"Okay well uhm... Right. The day Adeline mistook us and you went home, I stayed behind for detention and ran into her. She started threatening me. Said I should pretend to date her if I don't want you getting hurt. She knew all about the bathroom incidents and told me that I can choose between hurting you or just spreading simple rumours and dating her. So I chose the second one, thinking no one will hurt you, But they did. And I took care of them. I went behind her back and asked Denis and Louis to take care of you. I secretly followed you, making sure you were okay. Eventually this trip came up and I found it as an opportunity to spill the beans, of course she told me not to go but I eventually got her to agree. It wasn't in my intention to hurt you, Iris... I'm sorry." He explained.

I breathed out. I saw how guilty Nolan looked.

"Friends." I stated with a big smile. His eyes shimmered as they looked at mine before the biggest smile I ever seen formed onto his lips and he pecked my cheek.

"Thank you!" He happily cheered. I blushed of course and wanted to hit him for what he did, but I didn't want to ruin his happy state so I let him be.

"Adeline is so coming after me when she finds out you believe me." He laughed and so did I.

"No doubt." I continued.

We got lost into each other's eyes and for a moment I felt something weird. Maybe it was the thought that ran through my mind.

Kiss him.

No. No, Iris.

I looked away and gulped, so did he.

A day went by and I had an amazing recovery. I was discharged and Louis came to give us our bags. Nolan insisted on going home with me because of the promise of him staying by my side. I nearly forgot about it but I was thankful. Apparently his mom will come to pick us up.

I was sitting on the hospital bed as I made sure I had everything. Nolan was still very skeptical about how I was feeling but I told him to stop acting like a baby so he stopped.

"Okay. shall we g-' he was about to say something until a man stormed inside and hit him across the face.

"What did I tell you the other day about going to the hospitals? Huh? Did my punishment teach you nothing!?" It was Mr. Morelli from the hospital in my hometown.

"You are such an embarresment! Paying bills for low life people like her." he pointed his finger at me before slapping Nolan again.

"Stop!" I yelled in a panick as I stood up and jumped infront of Nolan.

"I respect you little one, but with my son I would prefer you far away." He strictly claimed, but I shook my head.

"I asked mother to come get me. I will move in with her after all this is settled." Nolan calmly stated. His cheek was bloody red.

"You little- move." He ordered me but I shook my head.

"I won't repeat it again. Move!" He lifted his hand, ready to hit me and I yelled as I flinched. I felt nothing but heard a loud clash.

I opened my eyes and saw Mr. Morelli on the floor, holding his head in pain. Nolan grabbed our stuff and pulled me out with him to the parking lot.

He looked around until he spotted what he was looking for and walked over to a white Kia sportage, 2012 model.

He put the things in the boot and climbed into the backseat, me climbing in opposite from him.

"Hey honey." A sweet honey like voice traveled to my ears. It was a women in her mid 40's. She looked just like Nolan, only difference was her small frame and light brown hair with a few blonde strands.

"Hey mom." He smiled, looking at his mother through the rareview.

"My, what happened?" She worriedly questioned, noticing the red on her son's cheek.

"Dad did." He replied calmly.

She sighed and looked at me.

"You must have been scared. I'll take you home." She softly stated and I nodded, whispering a 'thanks'.

I looked at Nolan who stared at the back of the car seat infront of him where his mother sat.

I softly sighed and rested my head on his shoulder. He became tense for a second but soon relaxed and smiled softly. I smiled back and closed my eyes, interwining my fingers through the back of his hand. He gently caressed my pinky with his thumb as he let his head rest on mine.

Now I know...

I love him