1. When We Met

I don't really know where exactly to tell this story, so I guess I'll start at the beginning.

I was only eighteen, and this begins the day that I moved into my first college dorm at Temple University, in northeast Philadelphia.

I was coming into college with a ton of friends from high school and a familiarity with the school, since I went to high school just outside the city and have older friends and family at Temple as well.

Honestly, I was ecstatic about college, the whole idea of it. What I didn't know, was that it could get really bad and then really good in just a matter of weeks. It was because of him, it was because of a beautiful boy named Nolan.

I said I would start at the beginning, and lucky for you the beginning is only a short time before Nolan came into my life.

Here we go...

It's almost a hundred degrees in Philly today, and it's a busy day on campus with everyone moving into their dorms and such. It's near the end of August so I shouldn't be surprised that it's so damn hot.

My parents and siblings helped me move in and then headed home just an hour or so ago. I'm rooming with one of my best friends from high school. Her name is Ashley and she's moving in later today. Her birthday is tomorrow as a matter of fact.

So to pass the time, I head out of the room and venture down to the common area on the first floor. I throw my blonde hair in a ponytail to combat the sweat pooling on my neck.

Downstairs, a group of boys are playing xbox and I sit down on a couch that's a little bit away. The room is nice, it's big and spacious. I can see myself hanging out here. I recognize one of the boys as Mike Dimascio, a friend from high school. In fact, we went to junior prom together.

Mike obviously notices me first of all the others and he waves me over to sit by them. "Hey Sam, what's up?" He greets. We make small conversation and then the others introduce themselves to me.

"I'm Samantha," I say to them and smile.

Eventually, the Xbox game is abandoned and we all sit on the couches. I learn that the three other boys are named Alex, Justin, Craig. And they went to high school together in a town not too far from mine and Mike's.

I forget what exactly we talked about but we clicked, and when Ashley arrived, she was welcomed into our little group with open arms. We clicked so good that that same night, we venture to a party in a nearby apartment building.

When midnight hits, we sing Ashley happy birthday in a drunk chorus and drink to being nineteen.

samanthaobrien1: first day of college, well hello there✌🏼

102 likes; 15 comments

As the night goes on and the group disperses a little, Alex and I ended up leaning up against a wall and talking. We were just getting to know each other as friends, or so I thought. Alex must think it was a little more involved than that because he's very touchy. But I'm drunk and I like the way his hands feel on my waist and on my back.