25. Visitation

It's Thanksgiving.

I've been home from school since last Saturday, and haven't seen Nolan since the day before. The Flyers have been on a road trip since then, but returned to Philly last night. Nolan is driving to my family's house today to join us for the holiday.

I've been anxious ever since I woke up at 6am to assist my mother with the feast. Now, it's about 10 and we are still elbows deep in food. Luckily the turkey has been in the oven for an hour already.

"What time is Nolan getting here?" My mom asks me with a smile. I blush at the mention of him. "They got in late last night so I told him not to rush or anything but he'll text me when he's on his way," I respond. It's not like I live far from the city. He can be here in a half hour.

"I can't wait to meet him," she says. I nod and go back to mashing up potatoes.

"Me too," my older brother James announces as he enters the kitchen. I roll my eyes. "Don't be all 'big brother protective' when he gets here please?" I beg.

James scoffs and grabs an apple from the bowl of fruit on the table. "What kind of protective big brother would I be if I didn't?"

"Nolan is super sweet and gentlemanly," I counter. "You don't needa act all tough."

"I'll believe it when I see it. I mean, my little sister tells me she's dating a kid in the NHL so obviously I'm gonna be a little suspicious," James says in the most sincere way possible. I guess he's right. I just sigh and look back into the bowl of mashed potatoes in front of me. "I gotta say though, the kid can play hockey," he adds.

"Don't worry, Samantha," my mom comforts me. "James is reasonable, aren't you hunny?"

My brother agrees through his chewing.

"Once he feels comfortable with Nolan and you, he'll drop the act," she finishes. James agrees again. Like I said before, he's not too tough to get along with. And I know that Laura, his girlfriend of two years and fiancé of a couple months, wouldn't let him take things too far. She's around here somewhere.

As a matter of fact, she enters the kitchen at the exact time. "I can take over, Sam," she says sweetly. "You've been at this for what? 4 hours?"

I let out a hot breath of relief and step back from the counter. "Thanks Laur, I'll go shower."

My mom rubs my shoulder as I pass and James smirks at me. I roll my eyes at him and take the half apple that was in his hand. I'm starving.

"Hey!" He exclaims but I ignore him and head upstairs. I have to get ready.

Nolan🧡
hey babe is it alright if I get there in like an hour?

Sammy💘
that's perfect I can't wait to see you

Nolan🧡
I miss you too
Love you

Sammy💘
I have to get ready but lmk when you get here :)

Nolan🧡
you got it

After I shower quickly, I blow dry my hair straight and then apply some makeup.

At the same time, my sister awakes from her beauty sleep and ventures into my room to ask me to curl her hair. Being a five year old diva, she loves getting her hair done by myself or our mom. Since I still have about a half hour until Nolan is supposed to arrive, I have her sit between my legs and I plug in my curling wand.

"Did you know you're gonna meet my boyfriend today?" I ask her. She nods and smiles, showing off her two missing front teeth. "Mommy showed me his picture!"