27. Be My Baby

samanthaobrien1: winter blues💭

1.9k likes; 39 comments

ash.thomas41: holy crap my best friend is a model
whitneyjax: girl ur stunning

After Thanksgiving festivities, we both got busier with hockey and school. It's finals week and I have four huge exams before i make it to the weekend.

Nolan was on a road trip almost the entirety of last week and this week he has a few home games.

Things between us have cooled off a bit in these past few weeks. The Flyers have been on a losing streak and in addition, Nolan individually hasn't been playing up to his standards.

I know he's been looking on social media, reading all the horrible things that people are saying about his abilities and talent. He really shouldn't do that but I can see why it would be difficult to avoid outside opinion.

As an effect of his recent bad play, he hasn't been his usual self. He doesn't joke around with me like before or send me sweet texts of how he misses me or comment on the selfies I post on Instagram with heart emojis.

With the advice from his own mother stuck in my head, I've tried not to take it too personally. Sure he's distant but I have to remember that it isn't because of me, it's because of hockey.

Whether it's our recent disconnect or the fact that I really have to study for an upcoming exam tomorrow, I decide to skip the Flyers game against the Hurricanes tonight. It's gonna be the first home game I haven't attended all season, but I need the extra time to go over all my notes.

When I text Nolan for the first time today, telling him my plan, he doesn't answer. I try to convince myself that he's not mad at me, that he's already at the rink and has already put his phone away to prepare for the game.

I have the game on my laptop while I study. Nolan again doesn't contribute offensively and took a bad slashing penalty that led to a Caroline goal. The team lost 2-1.

I sigh as I shut my laptop and attempt to finish up the last few chapters. In the back of my mind I'm waiting for Nolan to text me and ask me to come over, but then an hour passes and my phone is dry.

He should be at least on his way home by now. I text him to make sure he's okay. But when he doesn't answer that one right away, I call him. He answers this time after a few rings.

"Hey," he says.

"Hey," I reply, "Did you get my text?"

"Sorry I'm driving," he tells me. Now that I pay attention, I can here the sounds of the road in the background. He sounds tired but not necessarily angry or anything.

"Are you going home?" I ask. What I want to say is are you picking me up but I refrain.

"I was. Do you wanna come over?"