Connected

(DAYU)

I unhurriedly disengaged my body from Captain Wang's and gingerly climb off from lying on top of him. I didn't bother with the robe as I left our bed and walk towards the cleaning basin.

"Do you suppose its time for us to consider another match for Hua?" Captain Wang said. I wrung the wetcloth and turn around to walk back to him. I handed the wetcloth to him so he can clean himself of my spend while I pour water infused with lemon and mint leaves on a glass. "Sit up," I told my lover.

Captain Wang sat up and I handed the lemon-mint water to him. Captain Wang gargled as the water to clean the staleness on his mouth and spit the water on the clean chamberpot on the floor beside of our bed. He handed the glass to me and I did the same, gargling water and spitting on the chamberpot.

I took the wetcloth from Captain Wang and went back to the basin the freshen it up before using it to clean myself of any residue from our lovemaking. I will draw a bath later to get all cleaned up but for now, this will do.

"If I will select another match for Hua, I don't want another prince. Princes are problematic." I said with a snort. "I will also reject a military man as they are so busy with work to go home in time," I added while giving a meaningful look at my lover.

Captain Wang laughed. "Well, don't match her to an estate manager as well. They are busier than any military man and mouthy too." He said to tease me.

I smiled as I made my way back to the bed. This time I picked my discarded robe and wore it around my shoulders. "Maybe we should look at tradesmen as a match for Hua. What do you think?"

"A trader? Like Jiang? But you always complain about your cousin's partner," Captain reminded me.

"Oh...you have a point. No to a trader as well." I said.

"At this point, we can only marry Hua to a stableboy." Captain said with amusement on his tone.

I frowned at him. "And will that be such a bad fate for Hua? Maybe marrying a stableboy will make her happy. So lets do that."

"No," Captain Wang sighed. "She will not be happy because my family will haunt her if ever our daughter chooses to marry someone beneath her status." He said.

"Oh," I don't know what to say to that. Captain Wang married beneath someone of his status when he married me. People might not know that we signed documents and contracts but still, I am wearing his rings.

I looked at his hand. Captain Wang is not wearing any ring because he didn't give me ample time to get him one when we had our union ceremony. But years has passed and I kept on forgetting to ask him...

"Would you wear my rings?" I asked Captain Wang.

"Of course," Captain smiled at me. "But not while I am in uniform. There's just so many incident in the military base where one could lose a piece of jewelry. Thats why we don't wear those while in uniform." He added.

"Oh," that makes sense. If I will buy him a ring, Captain Wang could only wear it if he is out of uniform and if he can remember to wear it. What's the point, then? He is almost always at work. Wearing his uniform at least fourteen hours a day.

"Dayu ah, whats the matter?" Captain Wang took my hand.

"Nothing." I shook my head and smiled at him. "I just...I wear your rings so people around us know that I belong to you. How will others know that you belong to me?" I asked him, worrying a little.

Captain Wang frowned. "I tell them that I belong to you." He said in a matter of fact tone. "Also, is there anyone in the Capital who doesn't know that I belong to you?" He gave me a teasing smile. "Even my whole family knows that I belong to you."