Useful

(WANG HUA)

The Empress summoned me to show myself on her presence. I was led by Her Majesty's maid in the wardrobe house where I saw the Empress surveying bolts upon bolts of fabrics in different colors, design patterns and textures.

"Your Majesty," I bowed politely to the Empress like I have forgotten that Princess Cai has tried to pin my cousins and I for thievery two days ago.

"What is Jiang ShuYin's favorite color, Wang Hua?" Her Majesty asked serenely. "What color of fabrics do you think would suit her best?"

"She looks lovely in warmer shades, Your Majesty." I said.

"The peach one then. Also that light pink and rose one." The Empress started pointing at particular colors before clapping her hand. "I think that will be all. You can leave us now." Her Majesty said to her servants. While everyone is emptying the wardrobe house, I remained at my position.

Once we are alone, the Empress faced me fully. "I think we don't have to rehash what happened two days ago. It was unpleasant anyways, so lets not repeat it in our minds..."

"But I'll never forget it, Your Majesty." I said, couldn't help the clipped note in my tone. "My cousins are young and that experience terrified them..."

"I know. And I am not asking you to forget about it or bury it somewhere no one can know. Cai was wrong and I already reprimanded her. I called you here because I want to give you the same warning I gave Cai." Her Majesty looked into my eyes before continuing. Her eyes gleaming with warning, "Leava Jiang ShuYin out of this feud you two are having. If you have to fight against Cai, do it alone and don't involve anyone else in it."

I stared at Her Majesty. "You are telling me to fight your daughter, Your Majesty. Meet her head on. Is that right?" I feel confused.

The Empress sighed, "I wish I could stop Cai from seeing you as a threat or an enemy. She is a princess and you are a mere noble born lady. Clearly, she is above you in status. But Cai, for some reason, hates you. She'll do whatever it takes to beat you. She won't listen to me. I think the only way she will have peace is if you leave the Capital and never let her eyes lay upon you again..."

"The Capital is my home," I bristled at the thought of leaving my home. "This is where my parents and I live. Our home, Wang Estate, is here. This is where my parents left me. They'll come back to me...here..."

"I know. The Capital is your home. This is Cai's home as well. You can avoid each other if you are outside the palace's walls. But right now, you two are here...with greater chance of seeing each other constantly. You just...rub each other wrong. And like I said, I cannot convince Cai to leave you alone when your paths cross. And since I know you have your pride as well, I am also once a noble born lady, I won't tell you to just give in to Cai's mean antics. I know you also have some fight in you. But I just hope you keep in mind...you cannot severely harm a princess. She is of royal blood..."

"But she has rights to kill me?" I feel like that is unfair.

"Are you easy to kill, Wang Hua?" The Empress let out a ladylike snort. "I saw you fight your own sire who is about the strongest person in this kingdom. I doubt that you are a shy flower or weak for that matter. Don't let Cai kill you. Fight against her but don't let it come to the point where one set of parents will lose a daughter. I love Cai. She is mine. But I want to be fair to you as well thats why I am giving you this warning."

I realized it must've taken a lot for the Empress to give me this warning. I bowed my head to her. "Thank you for the warning, Your Majesty."