Solutions

(DAYU)

"How about a period of having two Shahs on the throne?"

I smiled when I saw the blatant distaste on the faces of the Shah and his Crown Prince upon hearing my suggestion.

"Do you think we haven't considered that option?" The Crown Prince grumbled before setting down the cup of wine from his hand. Someone served us drink and food and I finally got both royals to sit around the proverbial negotiating table.

I continued smiling, unfazed by their grumpy mood. "Glad to know that my ideas are not unique. But I'll bet that when you considered that option, being corulers, you both failed to agree on the terms and conditions surrounding that idea. I'm here to help you strategize on that front to make it a reality."

"Our people might get confuse if there will be two Shahs on the throne," the Shah said.

"They will if you will sit there at the same time," I said. Both royals sighed with exasperation. "So what do you suggest? We alternate on sitting in that throne?" The Crown Prince asked.

"Why not? Will that be bad?" I asked him back. "Its all about perspective, Your Majesties. Testing new things. Seeing what the people will think, how they will react...and maybe in the process, you will learn who is absolutely loyal to your family and dynasty."

"What do you mean...?" The Shah frowned.

"You are going senile." I said, not caring about his sensibilities. Both Shah and Crown Prince stiffened. I chuckled. "Relax, it was just a guess on my part but I guess thats true then. You are not making this even a little hard for me," I sighed. "Old age is catching up on His Majesty. Thats a fact..."

"Whats your point?" The Crown Prince grounded every letter of those questions through his gritting teeth.

"My point is, its time you consider having a period of time to transition that power. From father to son. From the present to the future." I said.

"A transition period...hmm..." the Shah grumbled.

"Its uncommon for royalties to have transition period of passing power. Even our own kingdom and royal family doesn't have it. For the rest of their lives, crown princes are submerged to study how to be kings and rulers but never given a chance to prove themselves as future leaders by their predecessors. The old kings die and their heirs take command, only to find out that the reality of ruling is not the same as studying on how to do it." I stopped when I noticed that I fully have the attention of the Shah and his Crown Prince.

"Go on..." the Shah urged me to proceed.

"His Majesty said you have no plan to die while sitting on that throne. Personally, I applaude that decision of yours. Your ministers and council members are afforded retirement, why can't kings have it too? You have served your people as a wise ruler, gave your life to them, protected them and your own family...why not have the time to enjoy your hard labor in your later year. Surely, you are entitled to spend the remaining years of your life doing nothing but leisurely activities." I said.

"Father," the Crown Prince turned to his Shah. The Shah sighed. "Retirement, eh?" His Majesty mumbled before chuckling in amusement. "Do nothing but relax and read. Maybe spend time learning how to play a musical instrument. I always wanted to beat up a drum."

"And be revered as an advisor to your future Shah. Surely, a living former Shah's words, still has power. All that influence but without the heavy responsibility as you already passed it along." I said.

"Ah...that would be the life, Master Dayu." The Shah smiled at me. "But as tempting as that may be...this transition period you are talking about..."