Reputation

(WANG DAO)

"You strut around next to a royal blood, giving people the wrong impression that you are something grand..."

I stopped walking along the wide and airy hallway of the Mughal Palace when I heard Princess XiLen's sweet mellow voice saying those venomous words from my back. I sighed and counted to five to calm myself before making sure I adopted an even expression as I turn around to face her.

"Your Highness," I bowed to show respect to her position. Banished or not, a scheming bitch or not, there is no denying that Princess XiLen holds power in this kingdom and the games being played here.

With the tip of her elaborately designed fan in my chin, Princess XiLen lifted my face so we can stare into each other's faces. She sighed dramatically. "What a handsome boy. You do resemble your sire. I wonder, should we put a mark or two on your face so it'll look different from General Wang's?" She asked with a smile on her lips.

"That will devastate my Father," I said as I stood straight. I eyed the palace soldiers guarding her. In my weeks of following and guarding Prince Jin, I have familiarize myself with the structure of the palace and the people roaming in it. I know these guards are loyal to the Queen and Princess XiLen is under the protection of Her Majesty.

Princess XiLen let out a delighted sound. "That makes it more appealing. I truly don't like your Father. Or your sister..."

"Well, for what its worth, none of my family likes you either." I said jovially. The amusement on Prince Jin's mother's face faltered. I gave her a wide smile. "This might come as a surprise to you, Your Highness, but its hard to like someone who attacked our home and killed our people," I added just for good measure.

Princess XiLen snickered. "I heard it was a beautiful burial. Wang Hua howling in sorrow with tears running on her face. I regret not seeing it," she opened her fan and sway it up in down in a slow motion as she smiled at me.

I felt pure hatred run in my veins as she mocked my sister and her grief for Nana's death. I thought of my sister bawling while hugging her dead nanny and my own Nanny coming to forward to comfort Hua. I felt the bite of my nails on my palms and thats when I realized that my hands turned to fists.

Princess XiLen snapped her fan shut again before patting me in the shoulder with it. I imagined catching that fan and snapping it into two parts. But alas, I cannot make a scene here. And certainly not a scene involving this woman. That could disrupt our plans here.

Princess XiLen moved closer to whisper to my ears. "I am not done bringing sorrow and devastation to your sister. One day, I will be back in the Middle Kingdom and I will see her cry tears of blood for myself." She said with glint of anger in her eyes before walking forward. Her entourage followed her.

I was left in that hallway, chuckling. I still have a long way to go when it comes to verbal sparring and mental games.

And Prince Jin was right. We cannot leave this Mughal Kingdom without eliminating his own mother. And Princess XiLen is wrong. She will never see the Middle Kingdom again. Nor come near enough to hurt Hua again.

I went to search for Prince Jin and I saw him practicing with his sword in a secluded part of the kingdom's garden. I see two people standing by discreetly and watching His Highness. I'm not sure if they are my Father's people, placed here to spy and protect Prince Jin and I or they are enemies working for Princess XiLen and the Queen.

"There is no need to worry about them," Prince Jin said as I stood by his side and handed him a piece of cloth to wipe his sweats. "If they are our allies, they surely owe their lives to your Father, they won't harm us. If they are our enemies, we can just eliminate them." Prince Jin said.