An Attack

(DAYU)

I am not stupid.

Captain Wang has to find the Crown Prince for our Dao to live. The heir to the throne was last seen with Dao...that means our son is currently the prime suspect for the disappearance of His Highness.

We have to find them before something truly bad happened to the Crown Prince.

Together with the guards lead by Captain Ching, our own people, and more soldiers under my lover's command...we combed the whole marketplace and nearby spots to look for Dao, Manchu, and Crown Prince Han.

My priority is finding Dao...but I do hope that we find the heir first before I find my son. In the end it doesn't matter. Once I find Dao, I can securely hide him in a place and help search for the Crown Prince. If I find Dao, I'll hide him until I know it is safe for him to come out.

Luckily for us...we found Manchu and Crown Prince Han first.

"YOUR HIGHNESS!" Captain Ching's roar boomed through the night when we saw two figures in shrouded black clothes running towards the hills in the south. I guess the captain of the Crown Prince's guards knows his ward even if its pitch black everywhere.

"Captain," we all knelt in front of the Crown Prince. Captain Wang stood up first. "We are glad that you are safe. Manchu," my lover turned to the heir's personal guard. "What happened?"

"Oh, we were about to go back to the palace when someone attacked us," Manchu said. "Dao engaged the attacker and left the Crown Prince to me. He told us to go home but His Highness wants to follow Dao to help."

Oh, so thats what happened.

"Attacker. A lone one?" I asked.

"Yes, Master Dayu. Just one. But they were fast. If not for Dao, I would have been stab. We protected the Crown Prince but Dao chose to lead the attacker away from His Highness,"

"An intelligent thing to do," Captain Ching muttered. "But why are you trying to follow? What if there are more attackers, not just one? You should have gone home and asked for help."

"I...I didn't think..." the heir to the throne stuttered. "But we have to help Dao gege!"

"Your Highness, thats not your priority right now. Your safety should always come first." Captain Wang said calmly. "Captain Ching, I want you and your guards to escort the Crown Prince and Manchu back to the palace." My lover bowed to the heir. "You don't have to worry. The rest of us will go after Dao and help him."

The Crown Prince looked conflicted but he nodded in the end. "Then I order you to bring Wang Dao alive to me, Master General." His Highness said.

"By your grace, it will happen, Your Highness."

We asked Manchu the direction of where Dao and the attacker disappeared. After pointing it to us, we watcher as Captain Ching and his guards left with the Crown Prince and Manchu.

"Thats one big problem solved," Captain Wang muttered as the group has left.

"Now, we just need to find our Dao." I said. "I'll go first." I moved and ran towards the direction Manchu pointed to us.

If I can remember correctly, this direction will lead me to the bathing stream where women gather to wash clothes and themselves.

I closed my eyes to separates the sounds I hear around the stream. I hear tree leaves rustling, the gently flow of the water against protuding rocks, and rushed footworks.

"There," I said before running towards the woods. I ran further and got to small clearing where I saw two figures engaged in a sword fight. The taller one has the advantage in speed but the smaller one is more agile. For a second, I stood there as I watched them in fascination.