Cursed

(WANG DAO)

Yong's family was cursed, they said. They said no man in their family lived to see their thirtieth summer on Earth. I don't want to believe it but looking into Prince Guo's demeanor after hearing Yong said they are not in love or Prince Guo is not in love with his guard...I think I want to believe in that curse.

Because I don't think Yong should aspire to be in his thirties. I think he should not expect to be alive tomorrow. I think he will die tonight.

Because after Prince Guo's eyes swam with tears and the Second Born Prince mightily forced them not to fall, Prince Guo's eyes were filled with murderous intent.

And the air around the room dropped by several degrees. It suddenly feel cold.

"I would like it if everyone will stop assuming they know my feelings or what's good for me. I would greatly appreciate that," the Second Prince uttered icily.

Prince Jin nodded, "You are right Guo, I'm sorry." My twin's intended apologized sincerely to his brother. "But please, if you can trust me, tell me what's your plan..."

"I plan not to marry," Prince Guo announced ever casually.

Prince Jin froze on his seat. I blinked several times to make sure I didn't fall asleep while slurping soup and now I am dreaming.

Yong...Yong grew concerned. "Your Highness, you cannot do that. You have to broaden your bloodline..."

Prince Guo turned his whole focus on his guard. "I will not marry. That's my decision. I will do my duty by staying loyal to Han while I have you as my lover."

"Oh..." I couldn't help making that sound. Lovers eh...

Prince Jin's reaction to that word is to drink more tea. I turned my eyes on Yong then inwardly groan when a determined look entered the guard's face. "I won't let you do that." Yong said in a clipped tone.

Prince Guo, who quite understand what Yong was saying, adopted a bored look. "I wonder what you won't let me do and what made you think you can tell me what I could do or not," the Second Prince equipped in an amused tone.

Yong gave Prince Guo a frustrated and pained look.

I can sympathize with the prince's guard. I think I am in pain now and will probably suffer from indigestion.

Prince Jin also adopted a determined look. "I agree with Yong, I won't let you do it Guo..."

"Gege!"

"Guo," Prince Jin looked at his younger brother with pained eyes. "Do you really expect me to just stand aside and let you live your life in uncertainty while loving a man with a precarious future? Do you really expect me to stand on the side and watch you lose Yong and mourn for him deeply as you squander your life away?"

"Then what do you expect me to do? Marry someone I don't love while you marry Wang Hua and live in bliss with her? How could you demand something from me that you won't endure yourself?" Prince Guo passionately argued.

I look at my cup, saw that it's empty so I reached for the pitcher to pour water in it to drink. I don't want to be in this room, really.

Prince Jin met Prince Guo's eyes. "I expect you to be wise about this. There is no guarantee that the Emperor will approve of Yong for you. And even if our sire understands, the whole kingdom won't." Prince Jin argued back. "And what about the Empress. It will take years for Han to produce an heir, she will look at you first to secure the line of succession..."

"What about you? You can secure the line of succession as well. You are a Prince too!"

"I am," Prince Jin nodded. "But I am third on the line. The Empress and her allies won't like it if I produce more heirs from my line than you and Han. Conflict will arise again. Relationships will strain once more. Do you know what I pray every night? That Hua and I won't produce sons. I would gladly surround myself with females, daughters, if that would mean that Hua will be spared of the drama of the throne's succession." Prince Jin closed in eyes and continued in a softer tone, "Even though now, I am not even sure if Hua will still marry me..."