Only Him

(WANG HUA)

I followed my Father upstairs into the library. I made sure to act prim and docile because I feel guilty about the fight Father had with Baba because of me.

Father accurately guessed what I was feeling. "If you feel guilty that your actions caused your Baba and I to fight, then will you consider stop doing anything that could add more tension in this family?"

"I truly didn't mean to cause any trouble." I said. "It's just those men..." I sighed. "I didn't say this last night because I was scared Baba will go ballistic and I wish you won't mention this to him but the real reason why I got angry was someone hugged me from behind and I felt...something hard...were rubbed at me..."

Father gasped. I winced at him. "But don't worry, I already dislocated that man's shoulder. I think both his shoulders..."

"Could you point that man to me?"

"Father..."

Father sighed. "I won't do anything to him. I might just talk to him." We both winced at his poor attempt at lying.

"You don't have to do anything. And you also don't have hunt down the man who tried feel LiAn's breast. I think I broke his hip and he might piss with blood for quite a while." I said.

"You are not sorry at all for that brawl that happened, right?" Father said.

"Nope. Not sorry at all," I decided to be honest to him. "Presented with the same chance, I will do it again. And again. If only to make sure those men understand that LiAn is not a paid courtesan that they can knead like a bread. And even if she is paid courtesan, they should know how to stop when a lady said no."

Father chuckled darkly. "You are dreaming if you think men, especially men in power and wealth, will start valuing women they deemed are beneath their status. Your sire and brother are exceptions to the rule. The rule that says men hold power in this society. Women should learn their place and work with what they got."

"This is an unfair society." I moaned.

"It is. That's why it is imperative for a woman in your status and position to be careful so no men will make an assumption that they can manhandle you. You are born with privilege but that privilege still has a price tag attached to it. The price you have to pay for being a woman of quality is for you to mind your reputation and act according to your noble bearing."

"I know, Father. Believe me I know. And I try my best, I do. But sometimes...I just can't look the other way when I see injustices happening. And it's not like I helped a stranger. It's LiAn and myself. I did it to save myself and my friend."

"If you were not in that brothel..."

"I couldn't cause any trouble. I know," I sighed as I looked down at my feet again. "But I had to do it. I have to."

"Why? Why you? Why do you have to be there for LiAn? Why?"

"Because she has no one," I said. "Or I thought she has no one else but me at her side. Her family is gone. Her noble status stripped away from her. She is all alone in this capital. I am privilege that I still have our good name and you and Baba. LiAn, she only has me. Or so I thought. But after last night, I saw that there are people who will stand for her and will wrap their arms around her. I'm glad. Still, I want to be her friend and I want to keep my promise to her."

"Even if you get in trouble?"

"Even if I get in trouble everyday." I nodded. "Although I also promise to stay away from trouble as much as I can."

Father sighed. "Fine. I'll be calling Nanny to come back here. I need an ally who will share my headaches because of your antics."

"You have Baba for that." I said. Father's face tightened and annoyancr flashed in his eyes. "Whatever it is that Baba said last night, forgive him already."