Promises

(WANG HUA)

"Do you think I am stupid?"

"No one will be suicidal enough to think you are stupid, Father. Especially me or Dao." I sighed before giving a discreet glance at the third person in the tent with us.

Today is the third day of our travel back to the capital. We have a steady pace. Keeping up with schedule. We are where we are meant to be, according to the travel plans Father made and shared with Master Rei and the two princes.

But even though everything is going according to his plans, Father still found something to sour his mood. And that something turned out to be someone...Prince Jin.

"The public is aware that you are engaged to the Crown Prince. You shouldn't have been recruited to come to this mission of sending the princes back home."

"I was requested to do this job because I am the second strongest fighter the Imperial Army has." I said.

"Wait," the seer suddenly talked. "Lady Wang, you are part of the Imperial Army?" He seemed surprised to know that.

I frowned at that. "Yes. I became a part of it even before Dao was recruited to serve as the guard of the Crown Prince."

"How come...?"

"How...because I have the same gift as my Baba. I am strong."

"Yes. But I thought people didn't know..."

"What?" Both Father and I looked at each other. "How could people not know? I was tested when I turned ten." I turned my gaze back at the seer. He seems...strange. "You know the law about people with extraordinary strength, speed, and cunning being summoned to the Palace to be presented to the Emperor, right?"

"No. I don't know..." the seer winced. "I thought your "gift" is a secret to everyone."

"Why would we keep it a secret? Everyone knows that their sire is the strongest man in the kingdom." Father said.

"They do?" The seer blinked. "Thats...strange."

"You are strange. Captain Wang is known for his strength. The Battle in LiaoMing fifteen years ago was won because my captain managed to defeat three companies of men all by himself." Father sounded proud. I smiled at him.

"I see," the seer sighed. "I have so much to learn..."

"Once we delivered you to the Locked Temple, you'll have enough time to learn history and all that happens," Father said.

"Locked Temple eh..."

"Yes. Thats where the Grand Seer lives and pray to the heavens. Surely you know that as a seer." I said.

"Oh...yes. I should know that." AhRan winced and waved his hand. "Go on with your conversation."

Father turned back to me. "Like I said, people around knows you are engaged to the Crown Prince. What do you think their opinion will be if they see you making cow eyes with Prince Jin?"

"I don't do that!"

"Yes you do," Father growled at me. "I told you, don't treat me like I am stupid. You two keep looking at each other. When riding, when walking, when we are eating...your eyes and his always seem to find each other."

I grimaced inwardly. I thought I was being careful. I thought I was being discreet. But it seems that the few times Jin and I would look at each other were noticed by my Father.

"Its not a few times. You both do it quite frequently. Looking at the other person to see if they are looking back. Looking at each other." Father grumbled. "You shouldn't do that."