42

That's it.

That's all I have to do.

I just have to get them to bring in an ASL teacher in this hellhole of a school and teach everyone about Taehyung!

The second the bell rings and class dismisses to lunch you grab Taehyung's sleeve of his coat and practically drag him out into the hallway, his wide teddy bear eyes staring at you in immediate shock.

Oh right.

Better let Tae know what I'm doing.

Freezing in the middle of the hallway and turning your attention to the confused boy you tug your board out of your bag and begin writing your words down as quickly as possible, small giggles emitting from your lips as Taehyung tries to look over your board at your words.

"I'm going to talk to the office about getting an ASL teacher hired at the school."

Carefully threading his eyes through your words and scrunching his eyebrows in confusion Taehyung pulls his own board out, his lower lip pushing out into a small pout.

"ASL?"

He doesn't know what that means?

"Sign Language...have you ever heard of that?"

"No? What's that?"

WHAT?!

He doesn't know what sign language is?!

"It's language for people that are deaf like you, you use your hands to speak instead of words or talking."

"But couldn't I just write on my board you gave me?"

This boy....

Shaking your head at the cheeky grin he gives you the two of you file into the crowd and head down the hallway towards the office, a small spark of anxiety forming deep in the bottom of your stomach.

This is a great first step.

Instead of blaming the school for their ignorance, I'll give them a chance to understand and learn about Taehyung, then the teachers will be able to create an educational plan just for him!

This could go really good...or really bad.

"Stay here Tae. I don't want you involved with these people. The less they see you, the less likely you are to be targeted by the principal."

Nodding his head in understanding and securing his back against the wall you give him a warm grin before turning your body towards the office door, your hands balling into fists at your sides.

Be brave.

Just like you've been taught.

Stand tall and speak your truth.

"Hello Miss Y/N. How can I help you today."

"Is the principal available by any chance?"

"In her office."

Nodding your head at the woman that barely looked up at you your feet carry you back to the very back of the hallway, your eyes tightly squeezing shut to calm your nerves.

Just breathe.

You aren't in trouble.

This is for Taehyung.

Building up every ounce of courage in your system you quickly step inside of the office and come face to face with the principal, the woman's eyebrows raising up in light surprise.

"Miss Y/N. I figured you would be in my office today."

"I didn't get in trouble. I'm just here to ask you something."

"If this isn't something important I would advise you to go to lunch Miss Y/N. I don't have time for measly meetings."

"It's important. It's about my friend."

"....If this isn't even a matter about you I would advise your friend to come in themselves if they wish to speak to me-"

"Our school doesn't offer any kind of Sign Language classes."

"....Miss Y/N-"

"I was wondering if you could look into offering Sign Language classes for the students and teachers that wish to learn. My friend is deaf and he is unable to learn in his environment. I think everyone just misunderstands him and if those classes were available then we could-"

"I'm going to stop you right there Miss Y/N."

"But I figured-"

"This school is full of nothing but loving staff that is very admirable and full of nothing but understanding for their students. Our staff is handpicked by myself and the superintendent and we do not need a student coming into my office and telling me that they are unfit for their job."

"That isn't what I was saying Ma'am. I was just saying if we brought in a sign language teacher to teach everyone about my friend he could have a better education. They could even assist the teachers and sign what they're saying so deaf students could understand better."

Standing up from her desk and narrowing her eyes in your direction you tighten your jaw and return her stare, your body refusing to give in to the shivering anxiety slowly crawling up your knees.

"Miss Y/N. This is not a student matter to worry about our staff. Your duty is to go to school and have an education. If your friend has a bellyache about our staff then I am sure they can some in themselves and speak."

"With all due respect ma'am. It is your duty to do what is best for your students so they can receive the education you are paid for them to receive. My friend is unable to come in and speak to you about their "bellyache" because they are unable to talk due to a neglectful education system that refuses to give them the tools to learn."

The room suddenly falls into silence as the two of you stand and stare at eachother in a silent battle, the principal's entire face tightening with agitation and anger.

"Alright then, at the office you will find papers or recommendations for the school. Students use this for activities and requests for dances. You can write down your request like any other student and drop it in the box. I will review them, and look them over."

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard spot here.

There's not much I can do to respond to that.

Relaxing your shoulders and adjusting your backpack on your shoulders you drop your expression to bland and void of emotion, your small sharp nod gaining a condescending grin from the principal.

"Alright then. I guess I'll put in a request form."

"It was lovely speaking with you, Miss Y/N."

Condescending bitch.

You just wait.

I'll fill out your dumb little request form.

I'll fill out one everyday if I have to.

I will be heard.

And I won't stop.

(A/N): :3 teehee