10

Man...this is awkward...

When you hear the engine of the old bus roar to life and the driver begin pulling forward along with the rest of the busses you tenderly flick your eyes over to the boy who pulls his black mask over his face and lightly sniffles, tears still welled up in his dark teddy bear brown eyes.

Aww...

I bet he's hurting...I wish there was something I could do....

Moving your eyes down his legs to his shins where he cracked them on the bus seat you lightly gasp when you see a small blood stain coming through his loose khaki trousers and beginning to spread across the light airy fabric.

He's bleeding...

That bastard.

Quickly opening your backpack and shoving your hands inside of the mess of papers you dig to the bottom and pull out the small brown bandage in the pocket, your fingers playing with the tiny object before you scoot to the end of your seat and hold the bandage out towards the sniffling boy.

"Uh...h-here..."

When you see the boy doesn't even look in your direction and keeps his gaze outside the window at the dull dying trees you take a deep breath and slip into the seat in front of the boy, your head peeking over the top to cause his eyes to flick up to you in light shock.

"Uh...are you okay?"

His entire body seems to writhe with discomfort at the simple fact that you're speaking to him, his eyes nervously flicking down to your lips then back up to your concern filled eyes.

...he's so odd...

"Um...alright...well...your leg..."

Pointing down at his pant leg now lightly soaked in blood the boys eyes follow your gaze then widen in shock, the lightest breath of a voice coming from the mask when he gasps and slightly whimpers.

"Here! It doesn't look too bad so maybe this can cover it.."

Looping your arm over the seat and holding the bandaid between your fingers you watch the boy's ears turn bright red when you give him a warm smile, his long slim hand moving up to grasp the bandage from you.

He acts like he's scared of me or something...

Watching the boy pull his leg up on the seat and pull his pant leg up you let out a loud gasp when you see the deep blue bruises all over his shins, each one in the same shape and size as the new one already growing across his honey like skin.

Oh....my.....

Does he do that to him everyday or something?!

He doesn't talk...maybe he's scared to talk to me?

He obviously has a voice because he whimpered...

After placing the bandaid on his leg and rolling his pants up so no more blood can get on his clothes the boy looks up at you nervously before tugging out a ratty notebook filled with different scratches of words even on the cover, his hands flipping through every page until he finds a tiny blank space on the back cover.

What the...

Quickly scratching a pen against the surface and folding the book in half the boy points at the words and stares up at you, his dark orbs glittering with soft emotions.

"Thank you."

Oh...

He wrote down his words?

Narrowing your eyes lightly and reaching into your bag again you quickly write on one of the pieces of paper and hold it up for the boy, his eyes widening in light shock seeing you copy his own actions.

"You're welcome, why are you writing everything down?"

When the boy pulls down his mask and reads your words he presses his lips together in a small frown and holds the notebook steady with his hand, his other moving quickly to scratch his words down under yours.

"I can't hear you."

Oh....

He can't hear...

So he's deaf...

That makes sense...that's why-

Wait a damn second.

Then why did the teacher try to talk to him?!

By the way the boy nervously looks away from you you quickly snap yourself out of your thoughts and offer him a warm smile, your fingers moving quickly to write down another message.

"Are you okay?"

"Mhm. My leg doesn't hurt that bad."

"Does that happen to you everyday?"

When the boy realizes you can see the multiple bruises littering his legs he quickly pulls down his pant legs and pulls his rough backpack on his lap, his head bobbing up and down in a small nod.

Aw man....that asshole trips him every single day?!

"Why haven't you like hit him or something?"

"If I do, he'll hurt me even more than he already does."

Lurching forward when the bus hisses to a stop in front of both your homes you collect your bag and walk behind the limping boy who lets out soft whimpers when he steps down onto the concrete driveway, his fingers tugging the mask back over his face.

I wonder how long he's had to go through this...

He can't hear anything...so that's why WooMin was yelling at him so loudly...

Is that why they're mean to him?

Because he can't hear?

Suddenly feeling a tugging sensation in your chest you step in front of the boy and tilt your head slightly to look up into his eyes and scratch down some words on your piece of paper before holding it up in front of his face.

"What's your name?"

Before your father interrupts the both of you by shouting your name loudly the boy grabs the notebook and then sets it upside down in your hands and limps up his broken down porch and disappears into his house that looks like the one your parents are fixing up.

Oh...he set it upside down?

Flipping the notebook over and feeling a small grin crease your lips you turn on your heels and begin walking towards the porch where your father stands with a hard hat pulled over his hair, his cheery voice this time lifting your spirits thinking of the name of the boy you've now come to know by little scratches on a piece of notebook paper.

"Kim Taehyung."

(A/N): I hope you're enjoying this so far UwU