Chapter 36

"Family of Mason Coleman?"

Chris and I walked across the room until we were standing in front of the man wearing a white lab coat. Chris had his arm around my shoulder for support. I was trying to keep my sobs under control in front of the doctor.

"That's us." Chris says and rubs my shoulder.

"He was very lucky. He shouldn't have been able to walk away without more wrong. He did sustain a pretty bad concussion but there's no damage. He will just have migraines, sensitivity to light, some dizziness and he may be a little foggy on some stuff. The surgery went well. He had to have a blood transfusion from loosing so much blood but he should be fine. His collar bone will take a few months to heal but the way we fixed it, there shouldn't be any long lasting affects."

He was alive. We didn't loose him. That's all that I could really comprehend. "He's been moved to a room so one of you can go back and stay with him for the night if you'd like but anyone else will have to wait until visiting hours in the morning to see him."

"Avery, you go. I'll wait until he comes home to see him. Hospitals aren't really my thing. I just came for support and to bring you your car. Amber is already waiting on me." Chris tells me. I nod and give him a small hug before I follow the doctor through some hallways.

"A nurse will be in every couple of hours to wake him up and check on him. He will have to answer some questions just to make sure there's no side effects of the concussion." I thanked the doctor and prepared myself before I opened the door.

I was expecting to see Mason laying in the bed sleeping but instead I was met with his bright brown eyes. He was hooked up to a monitor and had oxygen in his nose along with an iv drip in his arm. I couldn't hold the tears in any longer as I sobbed. "Mase." I said almost as a whisper.

"Come here baby." He said in a quiet voice and held his one good arm out. I was immediately at his side and had my head buried into the bed beside of him with his arm wrapped around me and his fingers stroking my hair.

"I thought I lost you." I cried.

"You'll never loose me. Not even if you want to." He says back and I make a sad chuckle. "I love you."

"I love you too." I tell him back.

"Get up here and get some sleep." He says and scoots over before patting the bed.

"I'll sleep in the chair. I don't want to hurt you." I tell him.

"You won't hurt me. This side doesn't hurt." He says and pulls me up. I lay back on the bed and curl up beside him. He moves my leg to where it's bent on top of his and his arm is wrapped around my back.

"You get some sleep too. They said they'd be waking you up in a couple hours." I tell him. He agrees and I watch as he closes his eyes. I lay there and stare at his chest moving up and down, by his leveled breathing I know that he's asleep.

Not even 30 minutes after he fell asleep, the nurse was back in. She looked to me and smiled while she rolled in her computer. "How has he been?"

"He seemed to be normal, no pain. I got him to get some sleep." I tell her

"Are you had wife?" She asks.

"Fiancé." I tell her.

"Did he remember you alright?" She asked and I nodded. "How long has been asleep?"

"About 30 minutes." I tell her.

"I'm not supposed to let him sleep but since he's only been asleep for half an hour and he talked to you then I'll let him rest for now. I'll warn you now, depending on which nurse takes my shift, you may want to move to the chair. They don't like having non patients in the bed. I don't care, I think it's the cutest thing, but I'll be off in a few hours." She warns me.