Chapter 5

Averys Pov

Mason went to the drivers meeting and I was left with his mom. I've always been nervous around new people and I knew she could tell. She didn't talk to me much since she was so focused on Layla. "You need a Coleman racing shirt." His mom stated.

"He didn't mention that to me." I tell her. She starts walking to his trailer so I follow her. She went over to a tote and opened it. Inside were a bunch of shirts.

"What size do you wear?" She asked as she held up a shirt too me. It said Mason Coleman 12, Chris Coleman 23, Mark Coleman 31, and under each names were a picture of them inside of their car.

"Probably a small." I tell her. She hands me the shirt that she had been holding up.

"Just go behind the toolboxes and change. No one can see you." She told me. I nodded and stepped behind the boxes. I quickly changed into the shirt and went back to where she was standing. "Alright now we are ready to go to our seats." She said and started towards the hill leading up to the stands.

"Do you want me to take Layla?" I asked her. I didn't want her to have to carry her all the way up the hill. She would probably get heavy after a while and this was a steep hill.

"If you want her you can." Bridget said. I nodded and reached for her. Layla happily came to me and I rested her on my hip. "A lot of people could mistake you as her mom." She laughs.

"Her hair is identical to mine." I agreed. We both had the same color of blonde hair while Mason had a dark brown.

"It really is. She has the same color of hair and eyes as you." Bridget nodded. "So you and Mason?"

"Are just roommates and maybe friends?" I answer her.

"He never took any of his other friends to the races with him. I'm surprised he even told you. He likes to just be himself and not a known race car driver."

"He probably just feels sorry for me. And he didn't tell me until we went to the store together and some girl came up to him wanting a picture. I asked if he was some kind of celebrity or something and then he told me." I explained to her.

"He wouldn't bring you just because he feels sorry for you. He cares about you, I can see it in his eyes." She says while we get to our seats.

"I don't think so." I tell her and sit down with Layla in my lap. We sit quietly through the first few heats. Masons class was just now making their way onto track. "There's your daddy." I tell Layla. She starts giggling.

"Da da. Da da." She says and jumps on my lap. I smile at her. She was just to adorable. We watch Masons class do their hot laps before heading off track. I could see the trailers from here and I watched as Mason parked his car in front. One of the guys that work on the cars went over and looked it over. Mason started walking up the hill to where we were sat.

"Here comes your daddy, Layla." I tell her and point to where Mason is walking. He gets up to us and takes off the top to his racing suit. He ties it around his waist before grabbing Layla from me.

"I got fastest time and dad was right behind me." He told his mom. She nodded and smiled at him. Layla cuddled against his chest.

"She seems to really like Avery." Bridget told him.

"She does. I was surprised by that." He said and sat down on the ground beside me.

"Why were you surprised?" I asked.

"She doesn't like many people. She usually cries when I leave her." He explained.

"All babies love me." I tell him with a shrug. He laughs but nods. He stays and watches the next two classes before he has to leave again. I stand up to take Layla from him.