Chapter 7

Averys POV

I'm finally off my Friday shift. Friday's and Monday's are the worst because everyone tries to come in before or after the weekend. Today was a very busy day and I'm tired out.

Today is also the day we leave for the race. Mason has Lacey keeping Layla, so it's only him and I going to the race this weekend. I drive back to the apartment and park before going upstairs. Mason is already waiting on me and has both of our bags by the door.

"You ready?" I ask Mason. He shoves his phone in his pocket and walks over to the door. Before I can grab my bag he grabs it for me and we leave the apartment. We walk out to his truck and get in.

"How was your work today?" Mason asks me.

"Horrible. I hate fridays." I say and he chuckles.

"Most people love Friday's." He states with a laugh.

"Not people who work at a hospital." I huff which causes him to laugh again. We pull into his shop a few minutes later. We switch out bags and get into the car hauler. The rest of the crew and Chris had already left.

"You ready for tonight?" Mason asked me.

"Yeah." I said with a shrug. I used to love going to the race track and getting to practice in my dads car. He always told me that when I was at least 20 that he would let me enter a race. I turned 20 last year but I never got the chance to enter until I came here and met Mason. He was such a nice guy, even though his dad doesn't seem to like me very much, his mom seems to love me. I was glad since she was the only other girl that went to the races with them.

"I think you should have a pretty good chance to get in the top 10 tonight." Mason tells me.

"As long as the car will go fast enough I shouldn't have a problem." I shrug.

"The car is probably the fastest car out there besides of course Chris's and my dads. All of our cars have the same motors." He told me.

"My dad taught me to go fast through the heat laps and set fast time that way I'd be at the front of the qualifying race. As long as I keep it in front of all the others then I'd have a good chance at getting in the front of the feature and that way I just have to keep control of the car and stay in front of everyone else." I tell him my dads old strategy.

"That is good as long as you keep it in the front and under control." He agreed. "The race today is a two part type of race. You will race against the other girls and depending where you place is where I will start." He explained to me.

"So if I do bad then I'll make you start bad?" I ask.

"Yes but you will do great so don't worry." He reassured me.

We arrived at the track a few hours ago. Mason got us checked in and he went over a few things with me. He found me some racing gear that was almost brand new. It was his old stuff from when he first started racing but he out grew it.

The drivers meeting had just ended and it's now time for the powder puff races. The girl that Chris got to drive for him is very talented and is honestly stuck up. I haven't did nothing to her and she gives me death glares.

"You ready Avery?" Mason asks and he hands me my helmet.

"Ready." I say with a nod.

"You will do good. Just breathe and pretend you are practicing." He tells me. I nod again. "Okay. Good luck." He says and leaves. I see him and the rest of the crew go up in the seating area to watch.

The line of cars start making their way onto the track. We get a couple laps for warm ups and to feel the track in and then it's the race. We were choose by pill draw and I drew 3rd so I'll be starting in the second row on the inside. There are 20 cars out on the track so that isn't to bad of a draw.