Chapter 4

Two weeks Later

Masons POV

It's been two weeks since the whole Derek incident. The first few days Avery seemed fine and kept apologizing to me about my eye. Lately she's been distant. She wakes up early and leaves for work then when she gets home she will cook and go to her room.

I just got back from the shop after having a filler panel mishap on one of the cars that had to be shipped out. Lacey was supposed to be at the apartment watching Layla for me. When I opened the door I seen Avery on the couch playing with Layla. "Hey, where's Lace?" I ask as I set my keys on the counter and walk to the living room.

"She had to leave and asked if I could watch her until you got back. I hope that was okay." She said. I nodded.

"That's fine. Layla seems to like you." I tell her. Layla is in her lap giggling while playing and biting on a ball. It was Friday so I still needed to pack us a weekend bag. I have a race tonight and tomorrow. "You good with her for a few more minutes? I need to pack real quick."

"Yeah sure." She said. I got up and walked into my room to pack an overnight bag. I could hear Avery baby talking to Layla in the living room. I pulled out my suit case and threw in some clothes before I moved to Layla's room. I got a bigger bag for all her things.

"What are you packing for?" I turned to see Avery holding Layla at the door.

"There's a race tonight." I tell her and finish with the last of Layla's things. I then have a thought. Avery is new in town and probably doesn't know many people. "Would you want to go?" I ask her. She said she used to like racing so maybe she'd like to go watch.

"Um, where's it at?" She asked.

"It's a few hours away and the one on Saturday is about four hours." I tell her. It's already 12 o'clock so I'll have to leave soon to make it to the track. I had already loaded up the cars and everything before coming home.

"I have nothing else to do. Are you sure though?" She asks and I nod.

"Yeah for sure. You can ride up with us if you want too." I offer.

"Alright. When are you leaving?" She confirms that she wants to go.

"As soon as you pack an overnight bag."

"Wait, you stay up there?" She asks.

"Yeah. Our rigs have a sleeping area with them." I tell her.

"Would there be enough room for me?" She looks a little indecisive.

"Yes now go pack." I tell her and take Layla from her. She nods and goes to her room. She returned a few minutes later with a duffel bag and a new outfit on. She was wearing a cropped Nike hoodie and light jean shorts.

"You ready?" I ask her and she nods

"You ready?" I ask her and she nods. We make our way to my truck. I buckle Layla in and put the bags beside her.

"I love your truck." Avery states as she slides into my passenger seat.