Chapter Two: How to Train Your Viking

"ALRIGHT! If any of you think that we got off to a rocky start yesterday, pack your bags and wait for the next ship, because today, you're dealing with me

"ALRIGHT! If any of you think that we got off to a rocky start yesterday, pack your bags and wait for the next ship, because today, you're dealing with me."

Stormfly flared the quills of her tail and arched her back. We marched back and forth in front of the new Berkians.

The best part of recruiting was orientation. It was like a second chance to scare them out of their wits.

"Awesome! I am totally ready!" Shouted Gilbert.

"What did you get us into?" A not-so-confident Stellan leaned over and asked his sister.

"Uhh, a chance to have our very own dragons?"

David the Tennant who was really a doctor started clicking his clicker.

"You want dragons?" I shouted, "You have to earn them! Rule number one! DO NOT get on and just start riding! You have to bond with your dragon. It's a relationship. You get to know them and they get to know you. You feed them, and groom them, and clean their stalls. Groundwork is paramount. All of this has to happen before you even think of getting on the dragon's back."

"Got it," David the Tennant who was really a doctor said.

"Wait a second," Gilbert suddenly looked confused. "Where are our dragons?"

"There are some rescues down at the stables, Valka will help you pick one."

"Awesome! Just as long as mine is yellow!"

"Where are the stables?" Ziva asked.

"Good question! I'm not telling."

This got their attention.

"What?"

"First lesson! Know where you should be. Now I'll give you five minutes to find the stables, but if Stormfly and I beat any of you to it you're riding old yak Bessie for the remainder of the day! GO GO GO!"

The new recruits scattered in every direction. All but one.

Narrow-eyed, shifty looking, skinny farmer Alvin.

"Do you want to ride that bony backed cow??" I demanded.

"Not really. I'm waiting to see where those dragons-" he pointed to the patrol coming in "-are headed."

The patrol team was returning. They circled around and dove into the caverns below us.

Alvin smiled. "Just as I suspected. Now to find a rope and swing down."

"Yeah well, it's a five minute climb and you only have four." I sneered. "And good luck finding a rope."

As he hurried to the edge where indeed a rope was waiting, Toothless came in on the tail of the patrol.

"Toothless! Where did you go last night? You had Hiccup worried this morning."

Toothless' ears perked up.