Chapter Fifty-Seven

To sum it up, the next few days were a blast... a literal blast like the dragons were so happy to finally have their firebreath back they burned down a decent chunk of the forest and parts of Fo'Dhia. Let's just say Artorījos city wasn't built to be dragonproof when we got there and by the time we left it was. Not our best foot forward in our new friendship with the Wotādīni, but Hiccup and Artorījos smoothed it out. Eventually.

As for Hiccup; once things settled down and we were all safely in Fo'Dhia, he made a point of being present at a great banquet held in our honor... but was so tired he almost choked on a sharp fishhook in his stew. Wynefreda apologized and said something about their chef passing away suddenly and some guy named Alphonse taking over who was still recovering from the battle.

Afterward Hiccup slept for three days straight. At first I was concerned about infection... which was no joke, that Piranharrow had done a number on his shoulder it was a miracle it hadn't struck bone or his main artery. But he was just catching up on about a week's worth of sleep in the quiet peace of knowing his people and dragons were safe again.

Toothless spent half the time with him... and half the time bossing all the dragons around. Don't eat this donkey. Don't sneeze on that thatched roof. Stop fighting over the Roman shields there's plenty to go around! He had his paws full.

In between those times, he and Ebony, who had at long last decided the Alpha really wasn't out to eat all his subjects became fast friends. It was adorable to watch the two nightfury teaching each other new tricks. Toothless taught her how to clap her double-ridged back spikes (which she did for hours), and imitate a human's smile. That didn't turn out so good it was terrifying with those wide yellow eyes of hers. On her part she... well, taught him how to not listen and some of the finer points of laziness. She also made it clear that one type of fruit in the Roman Garrison, the orange, to be specific, was from the devil.

Hiccup adjusted his tin hat. "Slowly! Slowwwlllyyy..."

"We're going slow!" Snotlout snarled for Hookfang.

"Hey no sharp words Snotlout," Fishlegs crooned. "Remember guys this is a tempermental brainfryer."

"We got that picture back on the battlefield, thanks Fishface."

"Oh I wasn't talking about the dragon."

"Guys guys," Hiccup intervened in his calmest voice before Snotlout did something I would make him regret. "Just stop talking, please? This is tricky enough as it is."

The box set down, and from inside it we heard an indignant thwack. I've gotten used to a lot of weird stuff when it comes to dragons but I draw the line with the kind that wipe your memory. Just no.

"C'mon Stormfly," I cued her to land in the tree above us. Fishlegs and Meatlug hovered in place, and Hookfang landed on a boulder.

Much higher in the sky I heard a shrill call. Studying, I spotted feathery, golden wings circling overhead.

"..Is the Gryphon immune to mindbender charges??" I asked.

"Not that I know of," Toothless and Hiccup landed right in front of the cage. "He's probably keeping his eye on us." The latter undoing its latch.

Thwack thwack thwack! Mega responded out of force of habit, eyes glaring wickedly from within his shell.

Albion called again, faltering in the wind and turning his head with confusion. Nope. Gryphons weren't immune.

"It's ok now Mega, look you're home!" My husband gestured. "No need to melt any more minds."

The Mindbender's nose twitched. Those did smell like his trees, and his rocks, and his anthills.