Chapter Eight: Ebony

Black as ebony

Black as ebony. Sleek as obsidian. Eyes that burned as yellow as the sun.

She just sat there, staring at us as we stared at her.

We were speechless.

Years of searching. Mapping. Charting. Studying and out of thin air, and on Gullgut Island of all places, another Nightfury.

Bigger than Toothless. Not by a lot but enough to notice. Her head was much rounder but her ears were shorter. There were seven tiny little white scales on her chest, double spikes along her back, and of course, she had both her tail fins.

Toothless's nose worked overtime, and he hadn't stopped chattering since he saw her. He looked back and forth from the dragon to Hiccup.

With the rest of the dragons it appeared that we stumbled upon a dispute. She had in her paws a dead seagull.

Hookfang was of the impression that the bird belonged to him. So he hissed, and slithered forward. She put her ears back and held the bird tight in her paw. He wagged his tail in aggravation but didn't come any closer. All our dragons kept safe distance from the stranger, Meatlug and Shattermaster were even hiding behind a rock... or what was left of it. They were stress eating.

The new dragon turned her gaze from the Monstrous Nightmare to us.

"I call dibs," Dagur was the first to speak.

"What?" spat Snotlout. "No way you already have two dragons and one of them is a Triple Stryke! I'm practically second in command if you count Astrid and Hiccup as one and that makes me first in line!"

"Hey. if anyone should get an upgrade it's me. I've had to share my dragon with my sister since this franchise began. I will now be the bigger Thorston and let her keep our beloved pet, but Chocolate over there is MINE."

Ruffnut punched Tuffnut in the face. "I don't even want your half of our dragon! He's so annoying."

My Nadder snorted and walked up to Hiccup. Her spines bristled and she rubbed her face on his wet clothes, agitated.

"Stormfly, cut it out," I told her.

"Hercules!" Dagur screamed. "Come here! Come here, boy!"

"Yeah I don't think that's a boy. Here, Blackie!" Ruffnut called. "I name her I keep her. Blackie! Come here!"

"Spartacus! Socrates! Aristotle!" Tuffnut spouted.

"Still boy names you knucklehead! Come here, Darkie! Or Yellow Eyes! Come here girl!"

"Joan! Antionette! Cleopatra!" Dagur belted out.

"Uhhh, Flap Jack! No, ugh, Flame Thrower! Spitfire!" Snotlout joined in the entourage of names being yelled out. "Charcoal! Coallette!"