Chapter Twenty-Two: Skullions

"Alvin!" Hiccup roared fiercely. "I WILL get off this rock. I WILL come for my people and their dragons. For my wife, my mother, my friends, and my dragon, and I will do whatever it takes to wrench them from your greedy blood thirsty hands!"

As he spoke he watched that wretched Outcast take a bow and aim. Defiant, Hiccup stood tall, daring the coward to actually loose the arrow.

Fffwwew!

The young Chieftain jumped as it sped by. Really? He looked down at a small cut in his shoulder, starting to bleed.

Wow was Alvin a horrible shot.

...wait...

...He was bleeding.

Hiccup snapped around, studying the behavior of the only other residents of the isle. Their heads were high as those incredible noses pointed them in the direction of easy prey.

Time to go.

Stumbling over jagged rocks he ran as fast as a Viking with only one leg can.

...

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!"

Jaws snapped shut just behind him.

Labored panting of the nearest monster felt hot on his back. A terrible, ugly talon almost a foot in length clanked against his metal leg, trying to tear tendon. Hiccup jumped as another swung around at his actual foot.

If ever there were a dragon that Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third could come close to hating, these were them.

Flightless. Sightless. Deaf. This wouldn't have phased the dragon trainer if it weren't for the reptile's inhospitable disposition. They were absolutely untrainable even when raised right out of the egg- and it's better left unsaid what happened to the last few Vikings that tried it. Their hunting instincts were deeply engrained in their DNA, but what's worse is how they hunted. Skullions are fast, easily outrunning the average dragon's gallop in a breezy canter. When close enough they reach out with a long, sickle like claw to hamstring their prey. Unable to run the creature is then devoured alive.

These dragons had gained such a merciless reputation among all the other dragons of the archipelago that none would ever set foot in the place- and among Vikings? There was an old saying; 'Nothing lasts a day on Skullion Isle'

Swoosh!

Another talon swiped at his prosthetic leg and this one brought him down! He tumbled head over heels into a sandy dune. Fortunately, the skullion thought he had missed so he jumped into the air over Hiccup, claws extended, sparkling silver teeth dripping with saliva. Not missing a beat the young Chieftain bounced back up and ran past the creature as it collected itself.

Five others were right on top of him, eight more behind them and some joining the hunt as the procession went by their dens.

They had nearly crossed the entire island and Hiccup's goal was in sight- the double sand bars. He just had to hold the Skullions off long enough to get there!