Chapter Twenty-Five: Allies in Berk

"We're ALIVE!"

"We're ALIVE!"

Never in all his life had Hiccup been so happy to get a face full of dirt. Oh, land! Sweet, sweet, Skullion-free land!

It was everything but a short and uneventful flight home.

Over an exasperating half hour the dragon whisperer had managed to crawl up from the scaly hind legs to the dragons' back; slipping up to his shoulders when they were headed in one of many downwards spirals.

With every stroke that ornery dragon dished out trouble, toying with Hiccup's mind and pushing his skills as a rider to the limit. He seemed to have boundless energy and took great pleasure in suddenly dropping a wing into a barrel roll, stretching his fingers out like a sail to break on a headwind, climbing straight up an invisible sky ladder to jump from the top and rocket towards the sea, new attachment screaming all the way down, or being perfectly polite for ten minutes but jerking his wings in a bluff every now and then. That last bit was some serious psychological warfare.

These are just to name a few of the antics he performed for the two hours he chased after Trooper. If Hiccup had fallen off something told him the Kyte would just laugh as plummeted to his death. It's intentions for Trooper did not seem all fun and games, either, some of those snaps he took at the Terrible Terror were for keeps. Hiccup was glad they couldn't catch up.

Berk just so happened to be the nearest Island to kullion and as soon as it came into view the Kyte leveled. Lively as he seemed his energy did have a limit and that was all but nearly spent. He glided in with willing, pleasant ease before hitting the earth with such force Hiccup flew right over his head. The dragon laughed at him with that dog-like expression but thank goodness was too tired to do anything more.

"You stupid, brave little Terror!" Hiccup hurried over to exhausted Trooper, currently sprawled on a rock panting. "Are you hurt?"

Looking him over and finding no injury the protective Viking scolded and praised at the same time. "I told you to leave Skullion. And what do you do? You lured a Kyte back! A Kyte! Where did you even find that thing? Don't you know what he could have done to you?"

He picked the little creature up. "One things for sure, I owe you mine. Thanks little guy."

The dragon just stared at the Viking and licked its eye. His stomach gargled, and reminded of his own hunger Hiccup's stomach answered back.

"We gotta find something to eat."

Trooper tensed and growled over his shoulder.

"Ah! NO," Hiccup spun and held a hand up to the slinking Kyte. It barked an insult at the tattler, crouched and wriggling.

"I don't care he's not on the menu, and neither am I." The Viking said without a shred of fear or aggression. "If you're hungry fly off and find some fish. And if you're feeling extra generous bring a few back for us."