Chapter Three: How to get the Chief's Attention

The next few days were uneventful

The next few days were uneventful. For Berk.

Stellan, Alvin, Rena, David, Gilbert, and Ziva didn't d.ie on the first day so yeah, good times. I mean, we almost lost Gilbert when talking about what not to do to your dragon... and Stellan during trust exercises... and David during search and attempted rescue. Eh. All's well that ends well.

"Ohh! Ooh! She's here Astrid! She's here!"

It was mid-day and I was about to let the trainees get on their dragons for the very first time.

Fishlegs was running as fast as his legs would let him. He held terror mail in his hands.

"Who's here, Fishlegs?" I teased.

He snorted in good humor. "You know who! Oh! I've got to go get Meatlug. Meatlug! Where are you girl?"

A flying rock rose out from the caverns, munching sandstone.

"Hey girl you know better than to eat the walls of the stables. C'mon, Let's go out and meet our friends!"

Meatlug wagged her tail as Fishlegs clambered aboard.

"Wait up I'm coming with you guys!"

"Astrid, if Meatlug and I went our fastest you'd still get there first. See ya!"

Watching him fly off at Meatlugs' top speed turned my competitive switch on.

"Uhh, alright gang, we've learned some good stuff for today let's call it quits."

"WHAT! You can't do that we were about to ride our dragons!" Gilbert shouted.

"New lesson! Patience is torture. See you tomorrow!"

"Noooooo!" A chorus of agony rang in my ears.

Once in the air, we zipped past Meatlug and Fishlegs both panting with excitement. I could see three dragons approaching from the south. One was the magnificent Triple Strike, the first of its kind to be documented by the dragon trainers. Second a graceful Razorwhip, and last, an emerald green Gronckle who bobbed between the other two.

The riders of the first two were shouting joyous Berserker war cries.

"Heather! It's soo good to see you again!" Fishlegs had Meatlug join Shattermaster, flying circles around Windshear.

"Were you surprised?" She laughed.

"I sure was! Yesterday you wrote like you were all like, 'ah, well, maybe in a couple of weeks,' and today you were like 'we're five minutes away' and I was like hyperventilating."

"Hey Astrid!"

"Hey!" Stormfly flew in close and we gave each other a quick hug.

"What's going on in Berk these days?"