Chapter Thirty-Five: A fine Mess

Kaww!

A raven stood on the corpse of a deceased shark. Wouldn't seem too strange... except that the fish rested on the edge of a high cleft in the middle of the hills.

The black birds' feathers glinted as he pecked greedily.

Kaww Kaww! Kaww!

Another raven showed up. The two exchanged words but there was plenty to go around.

Two turned into three, and three four, until there were ten of the birds all squabbling over the k.ill.

Kaww!

A warning call rang. The arguments ceased.

Kaww! Kaw kaww! Kaww!

Just as they'd come they also went, leaving behind them only silence.

Down feather stirred as golden wings shrouded out the light- folding, once talons skid to a stop in loose gravel.

The ever-stern face turned, piercing darkness for any sign of trouble with slowly rising hackle.

He blinked.

Things were exactly as he'd left them; dinner on the porch, bones and rocks strewn all over his cave and a six foot-ten human lying motionless in the corner.

Kaww! A voice complained from the safety of a nearby tree. Kaww!

The Gryphon shook, hackle sinking back down where it belonged. He took the shark by its jaw and dragged it into the cave, away from the hungry scavengers. They looked on in disappointment.

Albion set about returning his poor home to order;

That bone here...

He flung it one way.

That bone there...

He flung another.

This rock... over here... and and that one way way over in the corner...

He stepped on Liam.

No. He never like that rock in the first place he ought to just get rid of it. And that weird red thing that he broke. It cluttered up the whole entryway.

He stepped on Liam again. Gathering the pieces of shield and that one annoying rock Albion pushed all out and over the edge with irritable clacks.

Stupid rock.

Sigh, much better.

No longer hidden under the debris, what looked like a large bowl glinted in sunlight.

Clank. Clank!

The bird-like creature pecked at the shiny metal boss. It was the only part of the shield that remained intact.

Oooo, this was pretty. Extra pretty. He'd better weave it into his nest before the ravens got it.

Albion climbed over his wall, burying the thing deep between branches and overlaying it with more. Yes that looked very good there, any Gryphon would be jealous.

He gave it one last happy peck and climbed out.

"Ohhh," Liam groaned, slowly coming to.

It was still alive?? The Gryphon raised his hackle once again. He took Liam by the coat collar.

"Liam!"

A mule came gasping up the hill carrying two riders.

"Liam are you in there?"