Chapter Eighteen: The True Enemy

Up, down

Up, down. Up, down.

Teal wings cut through air as paddles through the sea.

The Chief leant down and readjusted his spare leg once more. Close as he and Gobber got, no two prosthetics were exactly the same, and he had to get used to that every time he lost one.

"Hiccup," Dagur approached from behind. "Me, Shattermaster, and Sleuther here... we... well..."

"You need to protect the defenders." Hiccup finished for him, calmly.

"I'm really sorry. I know you could use us in Berk but I can't leave Mala out here with the dragons. I- I could check in on her and fly to Berk, and oh gosh, I should probably check on Berserker Island. Ok first Mala, then Berserker Island, then I'll come to Berk and then back to Mala if all is well in Berk..."

"No Dagur. Your place is at Mala's side and there is nothing to apologize for," Hiccup turned back in the saddle. "I would do the same thing in a heartbeat. Go, tell her everything that's happened."

"But I'm abandoning you in a time of war." He said with both confusion and conviction. "A Berserker should never abandon his allies in a time of war."

"You're not abandoning me, you're protecting our allies, and they need more help right now than we do. Strengthen them and you will be strengthening us."

The Berserker nodded gratefully for both the words he couldn't find and the understanding of the one who spoke them. "All the same as soon as I know the Defenders are safe and settled I'll either come to you or send word."

"That would be great. Also tell us if you see any of the Furies."

"Oh you don't have to ask. I have no intention of facing off with them alone."

"Good. Safe travels, Dagur."

"Same to you. And Victory!"

As Dagur flew off with a Berserker war cry Hiccup sat with a patient grin on his face. A certain Razorwhip crept up to Toothless and with one look at Hiccups face Heather snorted in good humor.

"You know exactly what I have to say don't you."

"If it has something to do with Berserker Island and that Dagur can't be in two places at one time, then yes." His grin spread wider.

She shook her head. "Didn't your mother ever teach you not to gloat?"

"I spent most of my life with my dad and he was big on gloating."

Heather chuckled and put a hand on Hiccup's shoulder. "Thanks, Hiccup. It's pretty much a guarantee that Berserker Island is wallowing in chaos, but once I get everything sorted out I'll be back."

"We'd appreciate it."

She sighed. "Time to break the news to Fishlegs."

I can't say I was too happy to see Heather fly off. I understood, I mean, Berserker Island's only riders were Dagur and she so if anything happened they'd be on a ship without a rudder. Still though. Two capable warriors gone, and four dragons. I glanced over at Snotlout.