Chapter Fifty-Five: The Last Stand

"No!" Justinian roared, watching the Gryphon fly off.

CRRAAASSSHHH!!

He looked back, still shaken by the Gryphon's cry to see Alvin's turret collapse at the paws of the Piranharrow.

"He's lost the hold," The Commander watched tiny dragons flying wildly, pointlessly everywhere.

They were all going to die.

In the distance he heard a fury roar. Seven black dragons took to the sky, heading northeast. His hand tightened furiously around Artorījos' sword. Well, at least he would die on a battlefield in glory, not in Rome in shame.

"Commander what do we do?!?" A battle worn captain rushed up on horseback. Throwing his shield forward, he blocked a strike from a tiny dragon to his animal's head.

All the Piranharrow near them shivered, and together, with a sound something similar to a groan their tiny wings and whirring tails returned to the sky, following the Stormcutter carrying two riders.

A Shockjaw flew over, snapping at Justinian as it passed. He lashed back, leaving a long cut in its' tail.

"Commander!" The man repeated urgently, his horse crow-hopping. "Those Vikings were not dead! They're coming back at us from the Wotādīni camp and reclaiming the dragons! And that nadder you rode? She's gone rogue. Attacking everyone and banding together the rest of the riderless beasts."

"Send out the auxiliary." He turned to the west, head spinning at the thought that he was leading a little over two thousand men into a battle against five hundred Wotādīni and a handful of vikings. Something was off here, it was as if the enemy knew more than they ought to about the dragons, Vikings and the Romans. They'd managed not to fall into any of the classic strategies, knew to target Alvin, and appeared to have come prepared to knock out the Vikings, bring them to safety, and get them to turn their dragons against the Romans.

Yet the Piranharrow were not being used against them. Perhaps the riders of the stormcutter had their own agenda.

"Show no mercy to man or beast! We'll take Wotādīni ourselves in compensation. I will have Artorījos head!"

He charged forward with the rest of the infantry.

RRreeeooooww!! Hssss!!

Nightfurries winding down from a Piranharrow feast parted the way as feathered wings beat at full strength. Talons gently set the human down.

Landing at the edge of the forest, arrows sailed dangerously close to Albions head and he hissed.

"Cease fire!" The King shouted, rising weakly from his hands and knees. He put up one hand and held his side with the other. "Cease fire!"

When the arrows stopped, he turned back to Albion.

Albion flared his wings and arched his neck, threatening to scream but backing away at the same time. The King cautiously turned the hand out to the Gryphon. Ears folded back and crest rose with a growl.

I turned away, Hiccup's story whispered into his mind, To show him my trust. Artorījos closed his eyes and looked away.

Albion's ears slowly turned forward again. His eyes studied the hand. He took one step forward, stretching out his neck-

Eight soldiers stormed up and surround the King, swords and spears pointed at the beast.

Up went the crest, back went the ears, and in a leap the Gryphon was gone again. Seeing a hole in the wall of the retreating Piranharrow, Albion sped through it, flying straight for home.