Chapter Fifty-Three

"You hit him!"

Pained, hazel green eyes watched a purple terror fall, but he'd seen the change in its flight just before being struck and knew it was more clever than most, even he, gave it credit for.

It fluttered downward, almost perfectly into an unfamiliar young man's hands with vaguely familiar clothes.

"I never miss, Haddock." Alvin said quietly.

Was that his mother down there, pulling the young man to safety? It had to be! She was Niflheim bent on getting back through the wall to Cloudjumper on the other side.

Trooper, who appeared at this point to still be alive looked up at the young man and unfurled his wings. The man hopped up and down wildly, yanking Valka away from her victims to show her the tiny dragon in his hand

Epp, Hiccup realized with reviving hope. You did it Trooper you found him... wait what did Alvin just-

Hiccup sucked in a breath turning sideways. Even so the bolt still cut into his side.

The Outcast hissed, retreating and reloading at the same time. "Mercy have mercy!"

"Some perfect shot Alvin that's three times you missed me!" Hiccup glowered, swishing his blade to knock the crossbow out of his enemy's hand. He could have been aiming to cut him down to pieces but as the Outcast predicted he did not.

Alvin snorted, what little dignity he had imputed. "You know I wasn't aiming to kill on Skullion. At least not directly." Swiveling out of the way like the weasel he was, bolt set once more he aimed between Hiccup's eyes.

SLASH!

The Viking Chief gave one last mighty swing, cutting the bow out of his grasp.

"AAAHHHH!!!"

Alvin screamed as it dropped uselessly to the ground. He held his right arm, tightly wrapping the sleeve over the place his hand ought to be.

Hiccup stared in dismay. He hadn't meant-

"You beast! You barbarian beast!" The Outcast shrieked in pain. "Look what you've done to me!"

"It was self defense,"

Before either could get another word out the soldiers below began to scream.

Hiccup and Alvin looked out the loophole to find, to both their horror, the swarm had lost all semblance of order and was now descending upon everyone.

What had happened with Epp and Hotshot?!?

"You're the devil." The Outcast said.

Pew-pong! ping! Pew pew pew!...

Piranharrow shot into the walls of the turret. The structure came under unusually heavy fire and Hiccup couldn't help but wonder if the tiny dragons knew Alvin was in it. Dust falling from the rafters the floor groaned, shifting weight.

Time to go.

"I'll take those!" Hiccup snatched a chain of keys on Alvin's belt and ran down the stairs.

"Curse you Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third!!!"

Outside mud spattered up as if massive, killer drops of rain were coming down. Soldiers ran to and fro in terrified zig zags, but the dragons seemed to be aiming for them and many fell victim of their attack. Cyrus was gone, and Hiccup could only hope that he had regained consciousness and found shelter. The horse he had been waiting with wasn't near so fortunate, its bones lay scattered and barely visible as a thousand little black dragons gnawed on them. Moments ago he had hoped against hope that Toothless would be waiting for him out here, now he was glad the dragon wasn't.