Chapter Twenty-Nine: Floating Time Bomb

Everyone hates me

Everyone hates me.

A small, weaselly sort of fellow sulked about the ornate cabin. The Romans. The Berkians. Their dragons. That Toothless. And even you,

At the desk Hotshot sat, chowing down on a round of Berkian cheese. The creature looked up with a wicked snicker.

He really had put himself into an impressive situation:

Afloat at sea amidst a swarm of all-consuming little monsters,

Surrounded by soldiers that hated him, the Piranharrow, and the Berkians, and would k.ill him if they could get away with it,

Berkians who hated him, the Piranharrow and the Romans, that would revolt whether or not they could get away with it.

And an alpha nightfury that hated the albino, the Romans, the Piranharrow and his guts since day one.

He had no doubt Toothless would hunt him to the ends of the earth for what he'd done to Hiccup. Honestly, it was only a matter of time before disaster struck and however it went about there was only one common factor- everyone hated Alvin.

How did he always manage to burn so many bridges? All he was after was his own safety. Well... that and a place to call his own to rule on high.

A vision popped into his head of a Viking chief on fearsome mount, bearing down upon the ships. He coaxed the Piranharrow away in dragon tongue before turning the creatures all on the Treacherous Outcast, cold vengeance in his eyes.

Alvin shook his head. I left him on Skullion. NOTHING lasts a day there nor do any dragons land on it. He tried to cast the idea out. There's no way his bones aren't scattered across the island by now.

Still, he wished he'd done the job himself. He'd feel safer that way.

An angry rap on the door pulled Alvin away from his brooding thoughts.

"Enter." He unlocked it.

The door swung and its frame was all but completely overtaken with Justinian's figure.

"Those things are eyeing the ships hungrily." Said the Roman, not to be bothered with greetings. "And we're nowhere near any land they can devour."

"Yes I know. But the sea teams with life and they seem very adapt to consume that as much as any land."

"Do you have a plan?" The Captain sat smugly in the chair that once belonged to him.

"For what?"

"All your little friends. You can't feed them forever. And they can only go so far without their alpha." He glared at the little dragon on the desk and it glared right back, slowly moving out of reaching distance.

"Ha. My plans do not concern you, Captain."

"They do when I have two thousand men to protect."

"I told you I'm not interested in seeking revenge against the Roman Empire. All I want is my own land to rule. It's never a good idea to start out with hostile relations."