Random Kingdom AU

This is a kingdom AU I wrote late at night with no idea where it was going... I actually quite like how it ended up. It's different from most things I write.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was at dinner when the prince first noticed him. Simply dinner, nothing notable.

As the royals finished their food, the servants had hurried to clear their plates away. And as Tubbo took Prince Tommy's dish, Tommy had looked up at him and said, "Thank you."

That was all. And it changed everything.

Tubbo had heard the story of his parents. His mother had been a cook in the palace, and his father had been a soldier. Both had died when he was three years old. He'd grown up one servant among many, a quiet boy at the rear of the pack, repeating nine words to himself, again and again:

Head down. Say nothing. Be meek, unassuming, and invisible.

He'd leave, someday. He used to dream of fleeing into the forest and living alone. He could survive, he knew he could. No one would miss him. Hardly anyone even knew he existed.

Because he kept his head down. He said nothing. He was meek, unassuming, and invisible.

Until the prince, someone Tubbo had seen so many times yet never dreamed of speaking to, expressed gratitude.

It was such a brief encounter, yet it puzzled him endlessly. Why had Prince Tommy noticed him, much less thanked him?

It was a mystery that he mulled over for the rest of the night.

***

The second time the prince noticed him, Tubbo was washing the dishes.

He was elbow-deep in sudsy water when a voice from behind him spoke suddenly: "Hi."

Tubbo turned to see... Prince Tommy.

Tubbo almost dropped the plate he was washing, but years of experience kept his surprise from showing.

He was an expert at reading eyes; a quick survey of a superior's face, and he knew exactly what they expected to see from him. If they wanted a fearful, cowering inferior, he would comply. If they expected to see a smiling, cheerful staffer, then he would wear the mask as necessary.

He guessed that Tommy expected to see an average servant, just another young boy doing his job, only one of the pack. And Tubbo obeyed.

Meek, unassuming, and invisible.

"Your Highness?" Tubbo spoke softly, testing whether Tommy would want to be spoken to or not.

"Hi!" Tommy answered cheerfully. "What's your name?"

"I-I'm Tubbo, Your Highness. How may I assist you?" Tubbo skillfully turned the conversation away from himself to how he might help the prince. He knew from years of quietly observing that courtiers and royals were quickly bored by servants discussing themselves rather than their rulers. It could even be seen as insubordination.

"Have you seen Wil?" Tommy asked.

"I have not seen His Royal Highness the Crown Prince," Tubbo told him. "I apologize, Prince."

"Apologize for what?" Tommy didn't wait for an answer. "Gotta go! Thanks!"

And then he vanished through the doorway, leaving Tubbo again puzzled at this exclamation of gratitude from his prince.

***

The third time the prince noticed him, it was in the town market.