Midnight Thoughts

I love Tubbo's arc as president- his struggle, everything- just, Tubbo.

and then I got this idea that since Tubbo's whole thing is that he covers up his grief with happiness, what if he just... snuck out at night to be himself and let sadness run it's course, and then one of his friends sees him there?

This takes place just a few days after Tommy's exile.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was midnight in New L'Manburg.

Fundy couldn't sleep.

So, instead of staying in bed to toss and turn, he slipped out of the house, relishing the feeling of the night breeze through his orange fur. He walked along the wooden platforms of town, leaning against the railing and gazing off into the water below.

Suddenly, a new shadow fell over the water next to his, and a familiar voice spoke. "The lanterns are beautiful at night, aren't they?"

Fundy's head snapped around to see Tubbo standing behind him. The young president stepped forward to stand beside him, propping his elbows on the railing and staring down at the rippling water below.

"Do you come here a lot at night, too?" Tubbo asked, seemingly unbothered by Fundy not answering his first question.

"Not really."

"I do." Tubbo's gaze wandered from the water to the sky, to the Chinese lanterns floating before the stars and the moon. "It's so hard to have peace and quiet, now that I'm president. But here, it's so... serene."

It felt strange for Fundy to talk to his friend like... well, friends again. Ever since he'd exiled Tommy a few days ago, he'd seemed so... distant.

Instead of voicing his thoughts aloud, he asked, "Why don't you just take a day off? You're the president. No one could tell you otherwise."

Tubbo shrugged. "It's not just the work that's stressful. I hear what people say about me."

Fundy's thoughts instantly flashed guiltily to several clandestine conversations he'd had with Quackity over the past few days. About Tubbo.

They were born out of concern for their friend, of course, but he couldn't deny that most of their worries were things they would never say to Tubbo's face.

He realized Tubbo was watching his face with a knowing expression. "I know you and Big Q have been worried about me," Tubbo admitted, almost as if he'd read Fundy's mind. "Both for my sake and for L'Manburg's."

"You just... you... haven't seemed the same since... you know."

"Since the day I was told I was acting like Schlatt for making the best decision for my country in a moment of crisis— a choice that forced me to give up the oldest and strongest friendship I had?"

Fundy winced. "That's... that'd be the one."

Tubbo sighed. "I made the right decision, right? I couldn't lead a country into war for the sake of one person. That was the right thing to do... was it not?"

"I... I think that's for you to decide, Tubbo. No one else."

"Wilbur wouldn't have let Dream walk over him. Wilbur wouldn't have let anyone accuse any of his people, let alone his loyal right hand man."

Fundy bristled at the mention of his father. "Then Wilbur would have led us all to be slaughtered. Again."

"Schlatt wouldn't have, either," Tubbo went on as if Fundy hadn't spoken. "No one defied Schlatt. Sometimes, I have to admit that I envy him." His voice saddened. "But I'm afraid I grow closer to becoming him every day."