Supercity Au

You don't have much time, you don't have much time. The thought circled endlessly in Ranboo's— alias Domino— mind. You don't have much time and the heroes are coming

"I know!" Ranboo whisper-yelled aloud, stuffing the last of the valuables into his duffel bag. He slung it over his shoulder and turned back to the vault door, only for his heart to stall clean in his chest. Two figures blocked the round entrance, which he'd been sure was closed.

Ranboo's heart leaped with terror. The duo were in costume, like any other vigilante, but they weren't the Sleepy Boys. They weren't the Royals. They weren't any superheroes or supervillains that Ranboo knew, according to the information currently being fed to him by his cybernetic eye.

Ranboo opened his mouth, unsure of what to say. Or should he scream? Would that help? "Um. Hello."

"Fuck," said the taller stranger, "this jewelry store's already occupied." He was wearing all gray, with a black domino mask and a headband with two fuzzy gray ears, which could be a hint as to his alias. Were they husky ears? Wolf ears? What other animals had fluffy, gray ears?

The shorter guy folded his arms. "Who are you?" he demanded instead of responding to his friend. His alias was easier to guess. All of his clothes were the colors of caution tape— black pants, yellow high-tops, black shirt, black-striped yellow jacket. Ranboo figured he was going for a bee theme.

Ranboo blinked. They... didn't know who he was? Honestly, he was a little bit insulted. He'd thought he was at least kind of making a name for himself. "Domino." He cleared his throat. "Who are you?"

"I'm Wasp," said the beekeeper guy. "This is Raccoon."

"Oh," Ranboo breathed, suddenly understanding. "A raccoon. That's what you are."

"What?"

"Nothing." Ranboo sized the pair up. He thought he could take them, but he didn't know anything about their superpowers. "Whether you're looking for trouble or just valuables, this is a bad place to find it," he warned. "The Sleepy Boys will be here in a few minutes, and I'm guessing you'll want to be gone by then."

Wasp and Raccoon exchanged glances. Raccoon sneered, "How do you know?"

Because my eye says so. "I just do!"

The aggressive chime of the store door being thrown open and slammed rang out, and Ranboo's grip on his duffel tightened. He needed to get out of here. Now.

Ranboo grimaced. "Sorry about this."

"Wh—?" Wasp was flying before he could finish his word. Ranboo reached out with his telekinesis and shoved, sending the stranger right into Phoenix, the superhero who'd just appeared in the back room doorway. They toppled to the ground as Ranboo raced by, Raccoon hollering something he didn't catch.

Just like dominoes, Ranboo thought wryly, bolting for the door. Phantom flickered into sight in front of it first, gun aimed. Ranboo barely had a second to hit the ground, the dart meant for his heart sailing over his head. As he rolled back onto his feet, he slammed his power into the glass walls making up the front of the store, like a wave crashing into a sand castle. Screaming erupted outside, courtesy of Craft City's surprisingly numerous night shoppers.

Ranboo hardly noticed as he sent the glass flying upwards, where Crow, the final member of the Sleepy Boys, narrowly dodged the blow. Taking advantage of his moment of distraction, Ranboo pivoted and sprinted down an alleyway.

It was a dead end.

Frick— Ranboo needed to climb the wall, but then he'd have to deal with Crow again, but—

Caw! A flock of birds swept by, squawking furiously. A vaguely familiar voice said, "That should keep Crow busy."

Ranboo clutched his duffel to his chest on instinct as Wasp and Raccoon emerged from the shadows. A flicker of admiration shot through him, then a flash of trepidation. These two must be new to the scene if he didn't know them, but if they'd managed to evade all three Sleepy Boys...

"You— sent the birds?" Ranboo blurted. God, that was his question?

"Yeah, I can control them. All animals. Like a hivemind." Wasp tapped the side of his head. "Hence, Wasp."

Ranboo pointed to Raccoon. "What about him?"

"He," said Raccoon, scowling, "can answer for himself, and he can open any lock."

That explained how they'd gotten into the vault, which Ranboo had opened only with telekinesis. "Supervillains?" Ranboo guessed.

Wasp hesitated, then nodded. "Yeah. We're supervillains. And we want to offer you a partnership." He cocked his head. "We help you, Domino, like we just did— and you help us."

Ranboo startled. "I— I work alone."

"But you don't have to." Wasp jutted out his chin. "We could make this easier for you."

Ranboo hesitated. He should say no, but... he heard the veiled hope undercutting Wasp's words. These two were new at this. They didn't know the rules or tricks of the trade. They could get caught. Or they could turn themselves into his enemies later. These were all good points, but what made up Ranboo's mind was how easily they'd slipped the Sleepy Boys. They were the most venerated heroic vigilante groups in the city— not just anyone could evade them so easily.

Ranboo nodded. "All right."

Even if I'm wrong about them, he supposed, friends close and enemies closer, right?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello
it's been a hot hot minute since I did anything on wattpad
My apologies for that; all my writing over the past year or so has been about the world of my favored rp server, which is so out of context to anyone who doesn't know its' plot and many aus intimately that I never post it