Chapter 18: 'Do You Remember?'

BEFORE

July 10th, 2013

Gabriella

Raffi and I have been talking about what happened since we last saw each other.

Last year's summer camp was amazing. I asked for his number but he said he wasn't allowed to have a phone. That was quite peculiar because he's 17. Even I had a phone, but I didn't push it because he felt quite uncomfortable when I seemed puzzled.

Coach Katie, hasn't been so mean. And luckily for me Coach Reynolds– hasn't been around at all. Just like some people.

After I came back from camp last year, Mum told me that Guils went on a Fashion tour. Said she wanted to travel the world with her boyfriend – Robert or so. I don't care about his name.

She couldn't even say bye.

So I haven't seen her until about a week ago, a few days before I left for Goretti Junior. And I spent them ignoring her. Sure I could have made the best of them but 3 days can't cover–up for 301 – but like who's counting right?

I realised I spaced out when Raffi nudged my shoulder, smiling a bit as he asked me, "What's got you so tensed?"

"Nothing," I tried shrugging it off.

He pushed himself off the rock we usually sit on during our Midnight conversations like these. Where we first met actually.

I looked at the dark haired boy rage on about my sister, "You're her sister for goodness sake, it's like she doesn't know that blood is thicker than water," he pushed his hand through his hair in frustration, I felt my heart skip.

So maybe Raffi has grown–up, a lot. I can't tell him anything about that little crush though. How can I? I'd ruin one of the best friendships I've ever had.

I smiled a bit, realising that this boy would do anything to protect me – because he thinks of me a sister, I grimaced a little. But it's better than him not caring at all.

"Why are you smiling?" he seemed confused by my mood swings. I shrugged in reply.

I changed the topic, "I can't wait for tomorrow," a special guest, a Formula One racer is present for the training in the morning and gives us a talk about racing and if I impress them – that would be a great start.

"About tomorrow," Raffaele seemed uncomfortable, "there's a boy, his name is Patrizio," he unconsciously clenched his hands, "he's normally around for G.J every summer but didn't come last year," I heard him mutter, 'cocky shit' under his breath.

I took his hand in mine and freed his fingers gently, "So what about Patty," I felt him freeze.

"Don't call him, Patty," he spat angrily, "he's dangerous and I need you to stay away from him," he emphasized on the 'away' part.

"Okay," I nodded, "any reason why?" I questioned. He looked away from me.

"Ella, love," he paused, my heart twitching at the endearment, "there are somethings I can't tell you," my head tilted to the side in curiosity, "don't look at me like that," he sighed as he twirled some of strands of my hair around his finger.

Hopping of the rock, I stretched out my hand for his, "Can you hear the faint music?" I whispered.

"No, not really," he murmured, slightly moving forward, trying to grasp bits of the melody I spoke about.

I hummed the tune, 'September' by Earth, Wind & Fire played. I traced my fingers of his arms unto his shoulder, wrapping them around his neck and the other hand held his, he looked extremely nervous– adorable.