Chapter 10: 'Cookie By The Ocean'

Leon

I looked at Aves as she laughed, throwing her head back at something I said. A golden halo follows her every move, her emeralds twinkling as she sipped on her white wine.

Gabby said I should watch her– she's very good at playing match maker, knowing Aves and I fit perfectly. After her incident, she was closed off– that was before Aves came.

Avelina just lights up the whole room, her smile, her humour, her eyes– I'm not obsessed; it's just that my late night drawings just focus on her being my muse. She made Gabby crack down some of her walls; letting us finally see how much she's hurting.

It's heart–breaking to see her throw a fake smile any time her sister comes by; shrug off all the bruises every time I asked her about them; and watch her completely deaden her eyes when Paolo comes in taunting her about his brother.

Agápi mou, tilted forward almost falling and I swiftly caught her, clutching her to my chest, I carried her like a bride, my bride– that thought was pacifying.

I searched the dance floor for Gee. Nowhere to be found. I know where Gabby goes– she has this secret room at every beach house– quite unnerving how she disappears without a trace.

I wouldn't mind but I'm her bodyguard, well Aves' for now. I push through the sweaty bodies and move out to the yard. The bronze sands littered with tin cans and glass– sigh humans.

I hope this isn't the part where I say I'm an alien– I'm not. Even if Gabby and Gee call me Thanos, I quivered. Imagine being purple and having all those bulging veins.

Endgame was crap; it's like when a book has good characters and you cut off all of them and leave only the shitty ones to have a sequel– that's not how it fricking works.

I gently placed Avery in the front seat; placed a kiss on her forehead until I heard a gentle bark– Cookie. I left her in the orange matte car.

It was fortunate that she was in a Chevrolet Corvette convertible; if not I would be dead. I have to think quickly: take Cookie with us, and she might piss in the car as revenge; or give her to Gabby or Gee and spend a good night with Avelina.

No, not that kind of night, maybe I can just take Cookie and her bed to Gee, since she's closer; and tell her to give her to Gabby– figuratively and literally; I don't want to face her wrath when I ruin her me–time, or go all the way upstairs– it's just stress you know?

~~~

Gwen

I laughed at one of Robert's jokes; and try to smile but all I see is Geovanni; I told Briella off for him– she was protective ever since the whole Geo thing.

Every time I see those brown orbs, I think of Vanni and how he was so dejected. I didn't cheat on him I swear– how could I? I loved him but he didn't think I was worth his time– so I left not without a fight that is.

I did give him a second chance– when I came back for refuge from whatever Briella was running from; but that was weird– we made up– I loved every night I spent there at first then he chose to mess things up again and blame it on me. How does that work?

Robert pried off my fingers gently from the glass I was holding– I didn't even realise when I started to clutch my drink angrily. He looked at me with tender eyes and kissed my knuckles in his palm, interlocking our fingers he asked, "What has gotten my beautiful Éabha, so worried?" Yes, I told him my middle name– it was a sweet moment.