Chapter 11: 'Shine Bright Like A Topaz'

My first ever aesthetic I made- the others I borrowed from the internet, *wink wink*, honestly citations to Pinterest, I know it's shi-zzle sticks but you guys can just act like it's nice okay?

Anyway back to the story, starting from when we met Avery and a few hours from when Briella met her. And should I keep making it multiple perspective?

~~~

THEN

August 17th, 2021

Avery

The gleaming diamond in my hand, my surname in Greek carved at the edge so delicately, 'Tripatou' designed by forefather, Nikos Tripatou, a talented yet underrated artist.

He found the gem in an abandoned mine, delighted in his finding, he took it back to his workshop; to carve out the stature of what is now known to be the Tripatou Topaz, famous for its uniqueness and exquisite design.

At that time, he was trying to advertise his jewels– and stumbled upon a businessman; the gem my grandfather was marketing had pique his interest.

He stumbled upon a new discovery, it turned out that the mine belonged to the gentleman– and he asked for the gem to be handed to him.

My ancestor disagreed, his hard work and effort has been put into it; it should belong to him now. The stranger was not amused; and threatened his life, if the masterpiece was not given up at that instance.

Nikos did what any 20–year–old, alone, drop–out, artist would do– he fled. To the opposite side of Greece, where he found his wife, settled down and had children. Passing on the Topaz as an heirloom and protect it from the descendants of his unknown enemy.

~~~

NEXT DAY

August 18th, 2021

Avery

Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, I lost it– I fricking lost it. How? You had one job Aves, get the diamond and give it to the Melbourne Museum– prominent for their involvement in recollection of ancient artefacts, especially gemstones, but I got jumped by one of Doukas' goons.

I have to go home with the gem– today has been terrible enough. Giagiá abandoned me at the airport– boarded my flight to Australia– when I landed I realised I had no money; I had to sleep by a bus stop, and had hitch-hiked to get a car to take me to this museum.

I glanced at the empty wooden jewellery box in my hand. This diamond was meant to be a new beginning, a fresh start for us. With grandma's gambling habit that's nearly impossible, until I saw the gem in grandpa's briefcase.

I hid it from Grandma, and when she was about to sell me off to pay a debt I ran away– that was the first time. This impromptu escape was the second.

She caught on; but instead of making me stay– she welcomed it, packing all my clothes for me. Well throwing them haphazardly into the suitcase. And sent me to the airport and left me there.

The convertible they were in stopped– there was traffic, I saw the diamond in one of their hands, gleaming in the sun.

I took the opportunity and snagged it before they could realise, placing it back in its bed.

The money I used were my savings that I hid under my mattress. I looked at the carving of the chest which mocked me. I tried to make a deal with the museum– selling them this ideal topaz. In trade for– uhm cash.