Chapter 31: 'Don't Stress Yourself'

Gabriella

I picked at my meal with my fork, trying to avoid his question. 'Why didn't you tell me?' I'm sure he could sense how uncomfortable I was – it's my favourite dish, Spaghetti Alla Carbonara. and it tasted just like Mom's, but I couldn't find it in myself to eat.

I glanced up to find him staring at me. He looked dapper with his simple suit, his tie was the same colour as my dress – navy blue. I remember all the times I had to force him to wear a tie that matched my dress, but here he is, wearing it without a single fight.

After a while I caved in, "I felt like I could do this myself, I didn't want to be too dependent on you," I sniffled, "I just didn't expect it to be so draining."

He placed his hand over mine, "You're the bravest, strongest and smartest person I know," he kissed my hand, "you don't need to prove that to anyone, it's just the way you carry yourself with that gracefulness and elegance," he murmured, "Ella love, asking for help doesn't make you less of that person."

I interlocked our fingers and for a moment, "Why did you start doing that?" Street racing.

"I thought it would be fun," he laughed at how silly he sounded. It seemed bizarre to me, and he could sense where I was coming from, I shook my head at the statement, "To me it wasn't so bad, think of it as being able to wreck cars without a lawsuit."

"And I thought I was violent."

He shrugged, "It was nice while it lasted, until I had to leave," yes because of me.

"Would you go back?" I asked nervously, for all I know, I could have ruined this hobby for him, I placed my sweaty palms on my navy dress.

"Oh no," he answered quickly, "I've had enough thrills to last me a life time," he chuckled, "not to mention I actually dangled my life on a rope."

I slapped his arm, "It wasn't so bad, you made it seem like I wanted to kill you," I giggled, as I remembered his face when I told him we should go zip–lining.

"That seemed like for ever ago," we laughed together.

Then we came down from our high, and remembering why it seemed so long ago; before I realised who he was, and how he lied to me, "Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

He let out a puff of air, "I was worried that you would hate me, and never speak to me again."

I rolled my eyes at that and ordered dessert, "You haven't even finished your Spaghetti Alla Carbonara yet." I paused as I realised he noticed.

"I'm not that hungry," I shrugged, lifting my dessert fork to dig into my ice cream cake, when he snatched the plate from me, "No fair," I pouted.

He shoved my plate of my food at me, "Eat it," I frowned at it.

I twirled my fork in it, before taking a bite. I welcomed the beautiful combination of different flavours on my tongue. The cheese drizzled in it was simply heaven.

I finished eating, and caught Raffi looking at me, his eyes crinkled as he held in his laughter, "What's so fwunny?" I mumbled, trying to quickly finish my food so I could speak to him clearly.

Then he finally laughed, "It's just that you look like a squirrel," he guffawed. I gasped and smacked his arm, "but a cute squirrel."

"Like that makes it any better," before I could continue my rant, he took my desert plate and ate some of my cake. I took his plate, and tasted some on the apple pie, "The crust is heavenly," I commented.

He nodded in agreement, "I prefer your ice cream cake though, the whipped cream is impeccable," he stuffed another slice in his mouth, "I should have chosen that one instead," and I smirked at how wonderful my menu–picking skills are.