Chapter 24: 'That's Not Who You Are'

Gabriella

I was seated in the VIP lounge, plush chairs littered the hall and a glass wall gave us a perfect view of the race. Goretti wanted me to make an appearance at this equestrian race. They wanted a merger with one of the leading labels and sent me as an ambassador or 'gift'. My presence brought about paparazzi and it truly gets draining.

My limp has gotten better, the balms they told me to apply really helped.

It was warm today, the sun was out, and everything seemed so bright – except for me. I felt uncomfortable as the strong air conditioner was directly on me. I wouldn't have minded if it weren't for my already cold shower this morning.

Great. So I was cold on a sunny day.

Avery was beside me, Gwen didn't come. I guess she was too occupied by Geovanni. Leon went elsewhere and I've avoided Raffaele since last night.

I felt myself pale slightly as I recalled what happened, my heart ached as I remembered the lies. Avery's laugh shook me out of it. I forced a smile as I pretended like I was listening until she frowned.

"Now I know something is up," she pouted, "I said the white horse is in the lead."

I stared at her confused, "There is no white horse," she sighed. "I know I'm not so close to you like Gwen, but you can still tell me," she faced me, "What happened Gabby?"

"It's Raffaele," I groaned, "he lied to me, and it hurts so much." Before I realise, I've rambled out everything to her.

My face drops into my palms, "I can't believe I didn't see it before," I continue, "He used the same damn name – he couldn't even be creative."

"There, there," she pet me, "At least you know he's alive and he's okay," she tried to cheer me up, "let's watch the race."

The cavaliers were almost done with their lap. The dust and sand whirled around them as the hooves of their race horses push themselves further. There was this constant racer in the lead.

"The person in blue is a fast equestrian," I commented.

Avery clapped giddily, "She's Chinwe Okoli–Martins, five–time champion, she has so many trophies under her belt," she gushed, "she's like you but her race car is a horse."

"And over the years people come up with different suspicions, believing her horse was drugged or so," she shook her head sadly, "I'm sure it would be so infuriating to be asked such a question."

I agreed with her, "I guess some people don't want to accept that a woman can do anything a man can do."

"She's very good." Her horse galloped faster leaving the others to lie in her dust.

Her hunched posture and her steady eyes on the finish line showed her determination. I felt a sense of respect. I glance at the logo on the saddle, it was Cheval – he brand Goretti wanted me to make friends with.

Maybe today might be interesting.

It was no surprise that she came in first place. As she stood on the podium to receive her award, I was able to see her clearly. Her caramel skin and brown eyes, remind me of Gwen's brother Konan, but I'm sure she's not from Cote D'Ivoire.

I saw coming down for the award – giving ceremony, and I take it as an opportunity to introduce myself. "Aves, let's go congratulate the winner," I stood up.

"But-but," she stammered.

I laughed, "Come on, let's go." I tugged her through the sea of bodies, until we made it to the VIP outdoor section. I was now under the scalding sun, I shielded my face with my hand, the other pulling Avery with me.