Chapter 29: 'Thin Line Between Friends And Enemies'

THEN

June 3rd, 2017

Gabriella

Leon rolled out the carpet, and we placed Patrizio inside. We hurriedly crossed the road. He dropped the carpet in the car. It landed with a thud.

"Be careful," I harshly whispered at him.

He just shrugged and we entered the car and drove off.

~~~

It was an hour after we arrived that he woke up, "Where am I?" he groaned.

His eyes widened as he saw me seated in front of me, I placed my novel on the coffee table beside me. The chair I sat on, the one Patrizio sat on, the coffee table and about two other chairs were the only furniture in the abandoned warehouse.

"Gabriella," he growled out, frustration flashed through his eyes as he realised his hands and legs were bound to the chair. The twine looked uncomfortable – but it was the softest one I could find.

There's no way I could loosen the knots, but him struggling in them didn't bring me as much joy as I hoped. "Quit moving, it only makes it worse."

He stilled and glared at me, "Why am I here?"

Oh right.

I cleared my throat, "You're going to confess to underground racing."

It being illegal will jeopardise his career with Goretti. Battering his reputation completely. But I would never do that – although his a pampered brat sometimes, but his blood and sweat is evident in the name he built for himself, and I would never dare to destroy that.

"Why would I do that?"

I stood up from my seat and walked around him, "Because I have proof that dearest father is the owner of Amphigourique," I saw his face blank.

"I –," he shook his head at me, "You're bluffing."

I raised an eyebrow, "Are you daring me? You can hear it with the rest of the world." Yes I was bluffing but he didn't need to know that.

He paused for a moment, thinking everything through, "Fine," he gritted out.

Leon walked in with the camera, Patrizio glared at me, "Repeat after me: I, Patrizio Russo, admit that I have been a partaker of illegal racing, also known as drag racing, also known as street racing –"

"I get it, it's illegal," he grumbled. He wanted for the signal from Leon, that showed that the camera was rolling, "I, Patrizio Russo, admit that I have been a partaker of illegal racing," he seemed to end it there, but I motioned for him to continue, "also known as drag racing, also known as street racing anything with the likes of such."

I nodded, satisfied with my work, "Why did you do it?"

For a minute, he looked defeated, like the boy Raffi and I would joke around with, for coming a few seconds late, "I–," then he shook his head out of it, the moment was shattered, "I just needed you to," he spoke harshly, "it was a prank, a funny one." What's funny is that I don't buy that bullshit, but I left it at that.

I winced and untied the knots, leading him into the car, and driving him back home.

~~~

We dropped Patrizio off a little later, I turned to Leon, "Thanks a lot."

"No problem," he nodded, "I needed to make it up to you. Your fake death will be executed a few days from now, your next race which is at?"

"June 6th," I answered. After a while I spoke up once more, "Would you like to be my bodyguard?"