Chapter 30: 'You Won't See Me Ever Again'

Patrizio

I was always a troublesome kid.

And in turn I always got disciplined because of that. From pranking people, to mixing up Father's contracts, I did everything in my power to make his life a living hell.

He couldn't be bothered with me, I was deadweight to him and dumped me anywhere he could, once he left me in a foreign country for about a week – what a father.

And soon his patience thinned and resorted to disciplining me more physically. It got to a point that, I was quite used to any punishment I could get and hence I couldn't be bothered with any consequences.

But on my 17th birthday I got a punishment I didn't expect. I guess he got tired of me, but that didn't warrant me risking my life.

~~~

BEFORE

March 25th, 2013

Patrizio

"Again!" Father's voice boomed in the hallway. I shrugged nonchalantly knowing it would piss him off. It did. "Why did you tamper with the shipment?"

Hm, why did I? I don't seem to remember or care – I shrugged again. I could hear him bringing out his belt. I wasn't fazed. And then I slipped up, usually I would fake a wince but today I wasn't in the mood. Father seemed to understand the drastic change in behaviour, "So Patrizio is a big boy ehn?" His accent made him seem more venomous.

I stared at him face, an exact replica of mine, except his hair was greyed out and his face was wrinkled with experience, the bloodshed and bloodlust can be seen in that demonic gleam that always twinkled in his eyes.

I didn't respond to his earlier statement. He took my silence as consent. But then again in whatever he did, where was my consent. I never asked to be a racer–in–training, neither did I ask to monitor the shipments earlier.

The vans were loaded with ounces of cocaine, marijuana and any drug you could think of. The only thing I did was give them the wrong route, leading them to the cops' radar.

My revenge for my bruised back from the night before. It seemed like it wouldn't get to heal anymore; his hands coiled around his belt. Father chortled, "Do you know how I became the way I am today?"

I already knew the answer from this repeated monologue, "I never showed any mercy," until Mum, I was about to finish, "then you guys came along and I think I've been going soft on you," I took twelve whiplashes for not killing a rival's 5–year old, daughter when I had the chance.

I helped her escape, but that piece of information would just make it worse. "Down in our other branch, The Underground," he lit a cigar, "our team has been a bit shorthanded," I stood up, about to object when he stared me down.

I sat back reluctantly. Wait Patrizio, the right time will come. "How about you put your good skills to use," he continued, "you're going to be the new racer, no one must ever know your ties to me or I will–"

"I know, I know," I groaned, speaking for the first time since I entered his office. His jaw clenched as he wanted to say something more, but he dismissed me with a wave of his hand, and I left.

~~~

BEFORE

July 3rd, 2014

Patrizio

Gabriella and I broke up.

Of course it was all pretend but if I said my ego wasn't hurt I would be lying. We were still friends though – and I guess that would be enough.