Chapter 1: 'Champagne Showers And Flowers'

Gabriella

I got out of my Scuderia Goretti.

Removing my helmet, I ruffled my short hair. Helmet hair– I hate it. I was a little bit behind my last performance: an hour and ten minutes.

It seems long but with 71 laps, I was still faster than the other racers – a reason why I headed back to the building, housing all the rich snobby people, who could afford to come here.

A few years ago, I would have waited on the side–lines for all the other cars to finish. But after my first 5 wins, it was a usual thing to seem me walk down the halls of the Pit building, while people were still racing like their lives depended on it – in a way I guess it did, this is their career choice we're talking about after all.

I climbed up the stairway getting many congratulations, some with the sincerity while others just wanted their shitty logo on my back.

Opening the door to the VIP lounge, I spot my manager and bestie easily. Gwen sat with her laptop: timing me. "Briella, that was awesome but we need to beat that record." I raised an eyebrow at her eagerness.

"Okay so maybe I placed a bet on you again," I rolled my eyes and took the cold chapman cocktail in front of me. I needed that sweet, heavenly goodness.

Gladly, I welcomed the ice on my tongue. I was trying to balance it there perfectly, when Gee kept on pestering me on it. Pushing it into my mouth, I crushed it easily– ouch.

I was off by 10 seconds, 10 freaking seconds. With my blank face, "I'll work on it," I replied.

Oblivious to my sour thoughts, "Don't worry, we still have sponsors asking for you," she said cheerily, "It seems like Mr. Montanelli has taken a fancy to you," she knows how much I despise him.

Montanelli, that bastard, although marrying his fourth or fifth wife, it seems like commitment isn't in his vocabulary. It's like he changes his wives like I change cars, I should know because that's my older sister that he's wearing like new arm candy.

He's always trying to talk to me, and I'm sure Guilia didn't put him up to it. I need to leave before Guilia sees me. I don't want another Beneventi family reunion.

As I rushed downstairs, while the board counts the points, I heard a voice I never wanted to hear.

"Gabriella, so wonderful to see you."

Just my luck, my perfect escape was foiled, "Oh hello Guilia," I feign nonchalance, I was hoping she wouldn't show up, even though I knew the chances of her being here were so high.

Checking my watch, it was 4:35pm, "What a surprise seeing you here, I thought racing was an 'unruly waste of time and energy,'" I said recalling her words when I last spoke to her about my dream– looking back, I've come a very long way.

"Well I said that back then when I thought you were just having a mere daydream," replied my darling sister.

Once upon a time, I looked up to her: we had the same long ebony hair and we still have the same figure. I cropped my hair after I got mistaken for Guils for like the hundredth time. I thought our different eye colours were enough, but oh was I mistaken.

She's very consistent in wearing her eye contacts. I noticed as I looked her in the eye– they were clouded with guilt. If she was, things would have turned out differently.

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." I replied trying to speed up this conversation. I checked my watch unconsciously, 4:37pm.