Chapter 8: 'The Faults in Their Past'

Gwen

I was in the middle of telling Briella that there are two types of marmalades, when I saw Avery freeze, I moved towards her calmly, and I called out to her, "Avery?" confusion laced my voice.

She must be deep in thought, but I know by the deep wrinkles in her forehead and her lips turning to a frown that there's something haunting her, I looked at Briella, she was already staring at Avery and we realised we have to take her mind of it.

She likes Leon– I think, I felt like they've met before or have this sudden connection.

"Leon is here," I spoke looking for a change in her gaze but it's not working, before I could spit out the next option, Briella was already calling Leon over, as she bit her nails nervously, hoping Avery was alright.

After Leon left, Gabriella reminded me of movie night, which was last night. It ended with me crying and throwing popcorn at Briella as she laughed, she chose Me before You on purpose, and Avery was just hitting her with a pillow.

The bell rang: Leon was here. He rushed in looking so worried, "Where is she?" he almost shouted. If it were in any other situation I'd laugh at how concerned he was, but now was not the time.

"She's here," I called out, "I don't think it's anything too serious, but from the sounds of laughter from yesterday I think you guys got along just fine," very fine.

I've never seen him this panicked, this just proves that he hadn't met her for the first time yesterday – they must have some sort of history. "What happened?"

"She was just staring and a few minutes later she was breathing heavily and she just didn't respond," Briella stated worriedly.

I heard Leon curse in an unfamiliar language, "She's having a panic attack," he spoke quietly, "I know what to do when this happens," he paused, as if revealed too much, "I need some privacy," Briella and I raised an eyebrow but still he continued, "we were friends a long time ago... and disconnected," he murmured the last part regretfully, "just please give us some space."

Briella moved closer to Leon, "If you do a single thing to her I swear I'll–," before she could finish I pulled her out of the room. Into the kitchen and closed the wooden windows on the marble counter.

She pouted, "Hey I couldn't even finish threatening him yet, no fair." This girl.

"I felt like we should give them their space," I reprimanded her.

I heard crying, and Briella and I peeked through the windows, seeing a comforting Leon and a panicking Avery being rocked on his lap, cutest couple ever. Hashtag Couple Goals.

And then I remembered The Fault in Our Stars, after we finished watching Me Before You and I bawled my eyes out, Briella comforted me and said she'll play a romantic comedy.

Sure The Fault in Our Stars was sweet but I cried a lot, I thought they were going to be happy, then last minute, Gus dies and my world breaks, after Will offs himself.

I felt like there's no love in the world, it would have been a depressing scene if Briella wasn't cackling like a hyena, I swear she calls me a llama giving birth but she's worse it's like Mr. Krabs choked on quarter.

I got the cushion off one of the dining stools near the marble counter and used it to whack her head, she glanced at me rubbing her forehead, "Oww, what was that for," she looked confused.

Hitting her one more time, I spoke, "Last night's movie night, we should have gone shopping instead," I muttered, disappointed about the turn of events yester night – yes it's a fricking word and I use it.