Chapter 22: 'Illusions & Confusions'

THEN

Gabriella

June 6th, 2017

9:30 PM

I got a hit on my back, I winced at the enthusiasm, "We got a lot of bets on ya kid, don't mess it up." I nodded in reply and made my way to my private lounge.

It was moderately comfortable, there were lilac bean bags, a table, a few stray chairs and a bed I wouldn't lie on – but hey it's the thought behind it right?

I was switching channels on the TV, when I saw an interesting comment, they thought that the infamous Senorita was me, obviously they weren't wrong, but things could go south quickly if anyone finds out.

Another reason why this plan has to go through.

~~~

10:00 PM

I felt bad for everyone who placed those bids on me. Apparently today is the highest they've ever bet. So ironic, they day they need me is when I no longer need them.

I never needed them – I thought I would get experience. But it turns out I got an experience I wasn't looking for.

Leon said the drone is right above me. I gazed up and spot a silver–ish object. "Remember, curve at Burgundy Bend, there's a safety net for you, I'll be waiting there."

"I know, I know," I answered through the earpiece, "How's Sasha?"

"Hi Riels," her voice came in, "I can't wait for you to be finally out, and then we can be free together," she clapped happily and I laughed.

"You need a car to hit you, and make it seem like an accident, the attention will be off you and you can slip out, unnoticed," Leon continued, and I nodded, knowing he could see me.

I feel bad for the unfortunate racer.

"On your marks!" another female announcer shouted, when Sasha escaped, they didn't bother and got another replacement.

To my left, was the usual dark red sports car – Goretti. The driver looks at me and grins, "You look happy," he commented.

"Maybe I am," I replied curtly. My tone brings a sense of finality to the conversation.

"Not too chatty today?" he nodded, "See ya at the finish line."

I smiled a bit, "Sure." Now he knew something was up, I would usually comeback saying I would beat him, but silence answers, the anonymity and the enmity between us stopped him from asking any more questions.

"Get set," I gripped my wheel, this is my last hurrah, except my finish line isn't at the white line like everyone else's: mine was the bend overlooking the cliff.

"Go!"  I stepped on the gas pedal, the whirring of the tires heightened my adrenaline.

~~~

10:30 PM

I'm close to the finish line –my finish line.

"Overtake him," Leon spoke. I over take Little Boy Red and surprisingly he let me, as we approached the bend.

"It's a good shot, right angle from here," he commented with his aerial view. I wait for his call, "STOP!" I stopped abruptly.

Too quickly for anyone's reflex, he has no choice as his car bumped into mine catapulting me to my destination. I bended towards the curve, unlocking the door as I left one hand on the wheel. The belt buckle slinks a bit, and last minute I struggled with it – the seat belt wasn't letting me go, I have a few seconds before this fake crash becomes real. Forcefully pulling it, I freed myself and in the process the sharp, random metal bruised my arm.