Chapter 32: 'Movie Nights Into Memories'

Gabriella

I slipped into my lavender race car. I relaxed as my back hit the soft leather. I tightened my hold on the steering wheel.

I glanced at my opponent. Amad still seemed shaken up by our brief conversation. So maybe playing mind games isn't nice, but I really want to see how well he can drive under pressure. For him to be here – he must be under pressure.

"Go!" The speaker blared.

The car accelerated. The streamlined shape of Yoshimoto's car gave him an advantage, and I had to cover up to match his pace..

Although his leverage lied in the bodiwork of his vehicle, mine was in it's composition. The Goretti Super Sport 1578Hp gave it a greater energy output. I revved up my engine as my victorious laugh resonated through out the circuit.

Raffi and Gwen were at the bleachers. Geo had to return back to his villa – duty calls. Guils and Stuart had a new winter project to work on, but they sent their goodluck and well wishes in the form of a heartfelt video.

I glided across the tracks, overtaking the neon yellow car. I passed the white stripe, marking the first half of the lap – 35 miles left.

This was a friendly, so we settled for two laps. Short and brief. Not too strenuous.

It was so weird to see the tracks so clear, usually it would be buzzing with other racers as they tried to beat one another.

Cars would be whirring around me, as the place is thrown into some sort of frenzy. Flashing sharp colours as they zoomed by, blending into the black night sky.

I finished the first lap, and gradually slowed down.

Oddly, today felt like a calm stroll in the park. The bright sun, the blank tracks, I even forgot I was racing against someone when I saw Amad's car pass me.

And I couldn't find it in myself to care. The non-chalance in every swerve I made radiated throughout the atmosphere. I noticed him slow down as he thought of me no longer being a threat.

Everyone could notice my strange behaviour, I was thrown into this relieving state of lethargy. The vigour and the effort in my races were just not present.

My eyes caught Raffi's his eyes twinkled in amusement as he shook his head, I just shrugged.

If Yoshimoto beat me today, it would be groundbreaking. The perfect way to upstage my retirement. I'm 23 and my working years have barely started.

Perhaps I won't retire so soon, but my racing prescence wouldn't be so common. Just a few races here and there.

I sized up the gap between Amad and I, all I need is thirty seconds and the space would disappear, and the distance would become negative as I overtake him.

Everyone knew that, they just didn't know why I chose not to.

Maybe it was because I wanted Amad to get a confidence boost. Maybe it was pity for all that pressure thrust unto him, about me being his competitor or him being in the middle of all this Yoshimoto and Goretti tension– regardless of what it was, I didn't want to win this race.

I've set my mind to it. This would be the ultimate career suicide. But as the mental image of Raffi shaking his heard at me appeared, I decided to try. I stomped on the accelerator.

Gaining speed, I swerved at the bend. I feigned a yawn when I spotted Amad's shocked face, when he realised how I've easily beat him.

He's a talented racer, I'll give him that.