Chapter 9: 'Don't Need To Be Judged By You'

Avery

I dangled my legs as I sat on the metal bench, the coolness countered the uselessness of the dingy fan. Gabriella was beside me laughing as she realised she was in mall jail, she turned to me, "This is actually a thing though?"

I chuckled at her and nodded, I've had my fair share of jumping in and out of here, nothing too serious, being coerced into shoplifting–yes; being with the wrong people at the wrong time–yes; slapping a sleazy, handsy officer– yes.

Gabriella still looked awed and confused, a reaction I didn't expect her to show when we were 'arrested', "But it's so small, and I thought those were only in movies," she giggled.

When we were caught racing down the halls in a shopping cart, neither of us gave a flying frick, when they arrested us, Honestly, we couldn't care less, but now when the officer threatened to put this incident on our records Gabriella snapped.

"Hello," she greeted them for the first time since we got here, "whom am I getting the pleasure of meeting?" Her introduction is less than welcoming, I could feel the maliciousness radiate of her every word.

The officer seemed taken aback by her sudden change in behaviour, "Officer Smalders," Officer Small Dick.

Gabriella faked looking offended, "Aren't you going to ask about me?"

He wore a puzzled expression, "And who may you be Miss?"

She smiled, almost maniacally, "Beneventi," I swear he pissed himself, there and then, "Gabriella Beneventi," and he fainted, you see I'm not the only person that faints in fear, okay?

She turned to me laughing, "Call Gwen to get us out of this shithole."

I looked quite confused, our phones were on the officer's table outside the cell, a large silver padlock dangling and mocking us. "How?" I asked.

"Do your thing," she said exasperatedly. I was still lost, "You know, pick the lock," I was shocked.

"How did you know that?" I asked feeling insecure– confused– violated, she'd only know that if she knew my past. A person I trusted, how could she invade my privacy like that?

"Avery look at me," she turned my face to look at hers, "I come from a family of very bad people," she spoke slowly, "I had to make sure I pick my friends properly," she paused not knowing how to put her words properly, "so none of those people I help use me against said family."

Another pause, letting it all sink in. "When we first met you were a calm person– you still are– but I always have to check who I befriend, I found out how you struggled, but I didn't go to anything personal– that's your story to tell, only what I needed to confirm you were not a wanted criminal," she tried to lighten the mood as she realised I was still silent, "I mean 2 break ins and 5 mall detains doesn't scream trouble ya know?" I burst out laughing.

"But how did you know I could pick a lock?" I raised an eyebrow.

She laughed, "I saw it on video," she ruffled my hair, "damn girl 5 locks in 1 minute, that was crazy," she seemed impressed, "Leon's mouth was open the whole time and he was like, 'Shit that's hot' and I told him that he shouldn't mess up," she wasn't done, "oou, and next time please don't be caught on camera, Leon can teach you how to disable the cameras!"

I was quiet as I tried to process her ramble, "Why was Leon there? And why did he say that?" I whispered the last part, as I cupped my cheeks as I felt heat rush into them.

Gabriella ignored me entirely, "Hurry up and pick that lock," she whispered quickly, "there's only much my family name can do for me." And we both snickered.