Chapter 23: 'You Are My Ex So It Feels So Complicated'

Gabriella

Today was the big day. It was the day of the Carmen Peak International Hill Climb.

I walked out under the sun. In my black jumpsuit, I was surprisingly not sweaty. Using my glove–clad hands to shield my face as I looked for a special someone, well set of people.

I spotted Gwen, Geo and Raffi waving at me. They were all wearing Goretti merchandise and with Raffaele wearing the baseball cap – I was hit with a strong sense of déjà vu.

To my utmost surprise I saw Guilia and Stuart wearing foam fingers and a blow horn. I ran up to them before they get kicked out – well they could never kick a Beneventi out.

As I came closer I realised something, Guilia was wearing her glasses, only her glasses.

I felt proud of her as I hugged her. "What are you doing here?" I laughed. I might be a bit angry about the past – but she's trying.

"I came to see my little sister," she pulled my cheeks and squished face. I'm 23 not 3.

We both knew what this meant, she was practically destroying her image as a stone cold business and fashion mogul, "You didn't have too," I spoke softly.

"We wanted too," Stuart spoke for both of them, "Now tell me what I'm going to watch," I laughed a bit. He was always confused about anything related to sports – dork.

I don't know why but ever since Pietrapertosa, I've been more at ease. Well because of a special someone.

"So what's going to happen is that, I'll be dirt–bike racing, and all other racers eat mud."

"Yes," Guils clapped giddily.

"And I come first place," I finished off.

She nodded, "Sounds like a plan," she laughed, and suddenly she sobered up a bit.

"I'm sorry for the pain I caused you," she whispered, "I know I'm a bad big sister –but I'm trying." Yes she is. "I know you won't forgive me immediately," she answered, "but I would like to make it up to you."

This has piqued my interest, "I'm listening."

"We'll go to a spa," she looked so excited.

I took a seat beside her, the race won't start for about 30 minutes, "Sure," I agreed, "When?"

"Perhaps, tomorrow – if you're not too busy that is," she seemed nervous it was amusing to see the powerful Guilia Beneventi looking nervous.

I nodded smiling, "Definitely," I tapped my chin, "Although I'm a pretty busy person, I just might have to squeeze you in."

We both laughed.

"Calling all racers to the starting line," the voice from the speaker boomed out.

I stood up, "I guess that's my cue."

I settled myself on my bike. On the right handle bar, I noticed an inscription, 'Good Luck –R'.

It didn't take me two guesses to know who it was –Raffaele.

I felt a bit better. The little buzzes of nerves left. I look at my competition. Many famous, world–wide brands were here: Maurinho, Yoshimoto and even Tasque. But those three were the only ones I could vaguely identify.

"We would like to have a moment of silence for Raffaele Guanine," the voice crackled through the speaker. I looked down and defiantly raised my head to find Gwen and Geo fuming.