Chapter 21: 'Tell Me Where Your Past Lies'

Gabriella

We returned from Mrs. Doukas, a few hours before it was too dark.

I was sitting on the bed, surrounded by the soft clouds that were my duvet. I was reading a book, one of many classics Raffaele was fond off.

I glanced across me to find Raffaele, seated in the black leather club chair, staring at me intensely, I felt like he wouldn't break the silences until he asked, "What is that logo on your bike?"

I felt my heart stop, my palms turn sweaty as I turn into the covers, "Why do you want to know?"

"I have ties I cut off, and I don't know if I'm knotting them back by helping you," I tightened my eyes, hoping this confrontation will all just go away, "I need you to tell me, let me in." He spoke softly.

He moved from his reading chair and sat beside me, "Don't be afraid to tell me if you're not ready," he didn't want to force me, but I couldn't leave him in the dark, he trusted me blindly.

Then I started to tell him my story, of how I fell so hard – and how I loved it, how I met the wrong people, fighting through it only to have it blow up in my face and losing the only person that made me feel complete.

"I'm so sorry," his voice cracked, "Even though that can't change a thing." He pushed a stray strand of hair, from my face and he leaned in forward.

I look at his lips and quickly flickered my eyes to his, only to find them looking at mine, his nose brushed over mine ever so softly.

I lean in and before I could rethink it, I crashed my lips on his. Lightning bolts zapped through me as we kiss. He gently nips on my lip and then I relented, letting him kiss me deeper.

I gripped unto his pastel blue pyjama shirt, as I straddled him, and after realising what I did I turned red, and buried my face in his neck, "I'm sorry for attacking your face."

He laughed, "It's fine," he played with my hair. "Not everyone has self–control when it comes to me," he remarked cheekily.

I gasped and hit him, I was about to say something, when I rubbed my eyes, "Shh, go sleep." Too tired to retort back, I did as he said.

That night I fall asleep in his arms, feeling something growing, I don't know what but I hope this doesn't bite me back.

~~~

Raffaele

I slipped out of the covers and out of Ella's arms, I prop a pillow in my place, and tiptoed downstairs as much as my big feet would let me.

I'm so furious.

She never needed to go through that. I should have been there. But I left like the fucking coward I am.

Jogging down stairs, switched on the living room lights and made my way to the garage. I searched for my axe. I need something to take all my frustrations out on.

Drapes cover the whole reason she came, and the whole reason why we ever met.

I walked out into the backyard. And I swung the axe at the large oak tree.

She cried, and I wasn't there to comfort her.

I tightened grip the wooden handle, watching the silver blade as it cut deeper into the lumber.

If it weren't for that Leon guy things would have been worse, I wasn't there to protect her.

I pulled the blade out of the plank and swung again, the wood makes a sound of defeat; the crunch as it falls satisfies me.