Old friends

The drelf accompanied her almost to Misitu Mji, the capital of the elven kingdom, from which she would have to travel in one of the carriages that crossed the border. She could cross it on foot, but it would be slower and somewhat suspicious.

She had the option of signing up as an armed escort. Thus, the trip would be free, they would even pay her, but it could be delayed. Not only would she have to go to the Guild, but she would have to wait for a free slot. Besides, she didn't know what problems an adventurer who hadn't shown signs of life in years could have, not to mention that she had been an adventurer in a game. Also, the elf was in a hurry, so she preferred to go as a passenger. If possible, she didn't want to attract attention

Maldoa would have wanted to accompany her, but they had forbidden her. Not only did she have responsibilities there, but that belonged to the elf's destiny. It was something she had to do for herself, without direct intervention. This was stipulated in the contract, in the one that had been signed to let the visitors come, and which included that some of them could return, and the conditions.

In the fight against corrupt beings, it had been possible to protect her, since that fight was also theirs, but now it was no longer the case. Therefore, they embraced before entering the city, and promised to meet again. Maldoa assured that she would find her when she returned to the jungle.

The next available carriage would leave the next day. The elf had checked for the first time that her money was valid there. In fact, she hadn't even considered the possibility that it weren't. She paid half in advance, as the drelf had suggested, but ignored her other suggestion, at least for the time being.

Finding an inn for the night certainly seemed like a good idea, and Maldoa had suggested a couple, but the elf preferred to head towards a residential area.

She walked through the streets of that wealthy neighborhood, until she found a two-story house that looked like something out of a fairy tale. It wasn't the only one somewhat singular, but this one had a special meaning for the elf.

Somewhat nervously, she pulled out a key from the inventory and placed it in the lock on the gate. It slid open silently, to a small garden. It looked perfectly cared for, so the elf hesitated.

In the game, residences could be bought, and she had fallen in love with that one the moment she saw it. She had even paid a hundred-year rent, something that earned her a scolding from Gjaki, while Eldi laughed.

"Ten is more than enough. That's throwing money away," she had reprimanded, then sighed and let it be. It was already done, and couldn't be undone.

She approached the door hesitantly, when it was suddenly opened. A kid rushed out and collided with her.

"Ugh..." he complained.

The kid fell back, and stared at the surprised elf. He was a boy of about seven years old, with fox ears, although his tail was more like that of a wolf. At first, he seemed scared, but, ignoring his fear, he faced the stranger.

"Who are you? What are you doing here? This is my home!"

A wolfish-looking woman came out immediately. Soon after, a man appeared, with the features of a fox. However, far from trying to drive the newcomer out of there, they stared at her in disbelief.

She was also looking at them in the same way, as recognizing them. She smiled. The elf didn't know if everything was like in the game, but she was glad to see them.

"It's been a long time," she greeted them.

They still took a few seconds to react, to the confusion of the child, who was looking alternately at the stranger and his parents. Finally, the woman knelt, followed by the man.

"Benefactor Goldmi...! You're back!" the woman exclaimed.

"Svelna, Mbdelon, please get up," the elf almost begged.

She hadn't expected that reaction. She even stooped to take the woman's hands, and try to get her up.

"We owe you our lives..." the man protested.

"There's no need. You know... It's a bit uncomfortable for me..." the elf complained.

"But..." the woman tried to protest.

"Please..." she insisted.

Finally, they got up. Still, they were looking at her with disbelief and some adoration. However, there was not as much adoration as in the boy's eyes.

"Are you THAT Goldmi!? Do you have a bow!? Wow!! Is that your partner!!?" exclaimed the boy, who suddenly realized that, at the entrance, there was a huge feline, who was sat, and looking at them.

He ran to her to get a closer look, though not daring to get too close. It was then that she got up and became engulfed in flames. It astonished the child, who was looking at her with wide eyes.

"Don't worry. She's just showing off," laughed the elf, and reassured his parents. They were looking incredulously at the elf, and afraid at the feline.

She put out the flames and sat down again. Then, she looked at the elf and stuck her tongue out, to the astonishment of those who had been terrified.

"This... Come in, don't stay here, let us invite you to a tea, or whatever you want. The upstairs is still the same, we've only opened it to clean, although the spell still works," Svelna finally reacted.

The boy followed them, as he was looking fascinated at the elf and the lynx, to the resignation of his parents. The little boy had insisted on going to play at a friend's house for hours, until they had given him permission. However, they knew that nothing they said could make him do it, keep him from coming back home.

From a very young age, they had told him the stories of when they had been trapped and without hope. When, suddenly, an elven archer and her companion had not only saved them from certain death, by facing dozens of beasts, but had also provided them with a home.

On the sole condition that they watch over and take care of the house, she had let them settle downstairs, and they had done so for all these years. Even if they didn't believe she would come back, just out of respect for her memory, they had left the floor above, that of their savior, totally immaculate. Perhaps, except for when the child sneaked in to see the place with his own eyes.

There were some weapons as decoration, even a footprint of the lynx, something that completely fascinated the child. However, it was nothing in comparison to see his heroes in the flesh. When the elf put her hand on his head and caressed it with affection and a smile, his ears became fully erect, and his tail looked like a fan.